Looking for DIY linseed oil soap for wood

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

spazlepoof

Reaction score
I'm learning how to finish wood projects with different types of oil-based finish. I was recommended to use this type of soap to clean dirt off finished wood. Since this type of product is not available in Thailand, I will have to make it myself and it's a good excuse for me to try soapmaking.

Does anyone have a recipe to share? Pointing me to the sources would be much appreciated. Here's the soap that was recommended to me:

DESCRIPTION
Linseed soap is made from cold-pressed raw, purified linseed oil and water. It is a pure natural product, without any additives.

SOME WAYS TO USE
FOR PAINT BRUSHES AND HANDS

Mix soap with a little water. Work into brushes and rinse.

FOR WOODEN FLOORS
Add about 1/2 cup of the soap to a bucket of water. Scrub and dry.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Hi @spazelpoof, and welcome!
I have made linseed oil soap and am happy to share the recipe. But there's more too it than just a recipe. The process, while easy enough for experienced soapers, it may be challenging to one who has never made soap before. Here is a link to learn more about the process. Be sure to read Post #2 the link to the Tutorial which lists equipment needed and safety precautions. :thumbup:

Basic Beginner Liquid Soap

Also, you will need to find sources for
Boiled linseed oil
KOH (Potassium Hydroxide)
Distilled water

You need an online calculator to determine the amount of lye (KOH) needed to make a batch.
http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

It is best to make a small 500 gram trial batch before attempting a "normal" batch. Using the calculator above, enter the following into the boxes provided:

1590262507903.png
Click the "Calculate" button. Then click the "View Recipe" button to take you to the next page to see how much KOH & the water amount you need to make the lye solution. Under "Notes" I wrote the amount of water needed for the dilution phase.

Attachments

Last edited: