Looking for ceramic insert for crock-pot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydpubs

Reaction score
I have looked everywhere to order a replacement ceramic crock for my crock-pot.

I have one I use for cooking and was thinking I could just order a second for HP soap. But I am not finding one anywhere. :?

I really don't want to buy a second unit, my home is tiny and overrun with oils and other supplies already. Any suggestions?

My understanding is that to order a replacement liner for a crock pot, including shipping, would exceed the cost of purchasing a new crock pot.

You could always get some crock pot liners at the grocery store. However I wouldn't be affraid to hot process soap and eat out of it too. Dishes get washed in soap and it is sure to come out nice & clean. I use eatin dishes all the time for soaping.

There's a few on ebay. Depending where you live the shipping may not be too high.

We used to have a second hand store in my city and they had crock pots ALL the time. Pots and pans, too, stuff that would be great for soapin'. I miss that store.

Phillip, you use the same things for soap and cooking/eating? You use the crockpot for both, too?

What about the spoon you use to stir lye? I've got like 5 spoons (stainless steel) set aside that have been used for mixing lye and making soap, we're running low and was wondering if I could put them back in circulation with the rest of the utensils?

I use some dishes dual purpose for both soap and food. I wash the soap stuff *TWICE* before using it again for food, especially the lye stuff. Come on, it's just a pyrex measuring cup and steel spoon. It's not like they are radioactive.

Yep. I have no special soaping tools. Use all kitchen utensils. Heck, a little residual lye don't hurt nothin. Puts hair on your chest.

i also use regular dishes for soap....i wash by hand and then in the dishwasher as i learned from someone here....

i try to keep the dishes to measure out EO and FO separate cause that freeaks me out. but lye....no big deal! :)

I've picked up some small laboratory beakers for EO/FO. One is 100 mL, the other 250 mL. They don't get used for anything else.

Actually I have dedicated utensils for soaping only even though I may have them in my kitchen too. It's mostly just measuring cups and small Pyrex dishes that I use dual purpose. I've got two SBs, two CPs, two big stirring spoons, two of a lot of things so that soaping can have its dedicated tools. It's funny, I've discovered that my wavy cutter works really well on vegetables too! Imagine that! Funny coincidence... ;)

To me, soaping in a pot just creates soap...just like the soap we use to clean it. It wouldn't bother me to soap in a SS or ceramic croc and then use it for cooking, as long as I rinsed it well. It would be no different than washing it with soap. I wouldn't want to do that with anything that absorbs, though...plastic or wood. Remember, there is no more lye once the oils have saponified. Wash the croc with hot soapy vinegar water, rinse well and you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will not worry about using a separate crock for HP soap. (More money for ingredients! WOOOT!)

Lovehound said:
I've picked up some small laboratory beakers for EO/FO. One is 100 mL, the other 250 mL. They don't get used for anything else.

Actually I have dedicated utensils for soaping only even though I may have them in my kitchen too. It's mostly just measuring cups and small Pyrex dishes that I use dual purpose. I've got two SBs, two CPs, two big stirring spoons, two of a lot of things so that soaping can have its dedicated tools. It's funny, I've discovered that my wavy cutter works really well on vegetables too! Imagine that! Funny coincidence... ;)

awahahahaha wavy potato chips!!! :)

Back