Looking for beeswax and tallow suggestions..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
So I've got a good amount of beeswax here that I've made candles out of in the past. We all know what THAT costs. I've got a lot of self rendered tallow as well, beef, deer and sheep. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for how much I can cut the beeswax with tallow. I've only found 1 recipe incorporating ALOT of tallow with a SMALL amount of beeswax. I'm leaning more towards a higher percentage of beeswax than tallow...something like a 75% beeswax/25% tallow recipe...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Beeswax doesn't saponify in the same way that fats do, being a wax.

It's got a little bit of saponifiable material, but you won't get a bath soap out of 75% wax (with any fat you want to add).

So what you would get, is a chunk of waxy stuff, with maybe some soap/tallow/heavy lye water ... the actual result would depend on the temperature and blending. It might still end up being a good candle, or maybe the start of a furniture polish perhaps. But not bath soap.

Apologies ... I entirely missed the context.

Yes. It would make candles at that blend ration (75/25 beeswax/tallow).
They would be prone to drooping in sunlight, but be otherwise solid.
The tallow scent/texture would be noticeable (rate dependent on tallow cleansing, but still obvious on burning).

Sorry. Leave you to it.

Last edited:
Yes, you did. I just clicked on the "New Posts" button and didn't see that it was posted in the candle section. :( You could try making taper candles to see how they burned and whether the candles would put off a lot of soot or smoke.

I have mostly soft oils on hand and don't want to buy new stuff right now. I do have beeswax. Do you think that adding 5% to OO/Castor/Coconut will make too thick a trace? (Yes, I know that Coconut is technically hard but it's not tallow hard).

I want to experiment with my first layered soap so I need a pudding like trace.

Latest posts

Back