Looking for a recipe for a super light facial moisturiser

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyGoats

Reaction score
I've been scouring the internet for a recipe for a light, non greasy, non waxy feeling, quick absorbing facial moisturiser.

So far I haven't found what I want, which is all of the above, and a water free, oil/butter only version. Most have e-wax or aloe vera gel in it. I'd rather not use either ingredient.

Any ideas or recipes??? I'm at a loss at where to start, sooo...help!

I'd go for 80% water, conditioning emulsifier (BTMS) for a dry skin feel, cetyl alcohol thickner to keep the dry, light skin feel going, lighter and absorbent oils such as meadowfoam and babassu, and ...

... oh, wait ... no emulsifier?

Hermmmm.... I don't have a good answer that meets your expectations. Unless you use water, it's tough to make a product that a person can apply thinly enough so it absorbs fast and feels light. Even the lightest, fluffiest body butter (anhydrous) will feel heavier than a light water-based emulsified lotion.

You do realise that oils don't moisture right? Water =moisture, oils are used to seal the water in your skin.
For a true moisturize, it needs water unless you are planning on applying the oils right after a shower.
If you are just wanting a light oil, try fractionated coconut oil. It soaks in a bit quicker then other oils and is pretty lightweight.
You could add a few drops of glycerin to help attract moisture to your skin. But sure if this would require a preservative though.

This will absorb in very quickly. As my daughter said, "it is there and feels oily, then all of a sudden it is gone".
30 CO, 17% Shea, 23% Beeswax, 10% Butter EZ, 5% Cetyl Alcohol, 15% FCO, 1% Vitamin E. One issue I do not like with all oil formulas is I cannot add in Allantoin, Panthenol or Niacinamide since my are all powdered and I like to add them to some of my lotions

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I stand corrected. I guess I'll have to try that squalane y'all like so much.

Latest posts

Back