Looking for a Palm-Free New Basic Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you factor in the cost to buy the oils and the adjusted price of a bar of that soap? If the cost is higher, are you sure your customers are going to be fine with paying a higher price?
That's a good question, and I put it all into my spreadsheet and was surprised to find that it was really about the same! Just a .03 cents per bar more.

That's a good question, and I put it all into my spreadsheet and was surprised to find that it was really about the same! Just a .03 cents per bar more.
Scratch that, I was looking at the wrong price! It's actually about .24 cents more per bar. That is a bigger difference. Something to think about🤔

No time to explain right now - but the numbers are pretty good :)

Try RBO or Olive oil to replace one of your other soft oils ( not AVO though) as they will increase your palmitic.
Thank you KiwiMoose - you are so helpful! So I tried adjusting the recipe, taking out the sweet almond & sunflower, and replaced them with OO, but it only raised my palmitic & stearic to 12 & 13 for a total of 25. Any suggestions of how I can tweak it to make those numbers higher? Here is the current recipe:

Avocado 5.75oz (17.97%)
Coconut 7.7oz (24.06%)
Cocoa Butter 5.1oz (15.94%)
Castor 3.85oz (12.03%)
Shea 4.8oz (15%)
OO 4.8oz (15%)
Superfat 5%

And it gives me these numbers:

Lauric
14​
Myristic
6​
Palmitic
20​
Stearic
5​
Ricinoleic
0​
Oleic
37​
Linoleic
15​
Linolenic
0​

Your help is so appreciated!

Soapmom

Hmm - I dunno. I would say increase your shea or cocoa butters but you already have 55% hard fats in there.
Why so much avocado oil? It's quite expensive. It is nice in soap I agree - but I use it at 5%. Have a look in soap calc to see the diff in palmitic between OO, Avocado and RBO - RBO is higher and way cheaper.
Anyway - I think you are probably good to go with your current recipe. Just try it and see what you think.
I'm a soy wax user which adds to the stearic amount in my soap - but I can't remember if you were for or against soy.

SoapyM0m suggestion..PNG

I based this on Kiwi's suggestion. RBO is cheap but you'd probably want the more refined oils if you want a lighter soap. RBO can get a little dark in color.

BTW, does anyone have an opinion on the book “Simple Natural Soap Making” by Jan Berry?
In the reviews they said she has palm free recipes.
I have this book and I like it quite a bit. A lot of her recipes use tallow or lard, but there are plenty that don’t. I’m far from an expert and don’t sell anything (yet), but I’ve been happy with her recipes that I’ve used. And they’re not complicated with a hundred different ingredients.

As a bonus, if you’re interested she included a photo gallery of soaps colored with natural ingredients. It’s pretty cool!

Ok I've compiled several different ideas and come up with a palm-free recipe, but I need someone to help me understand all the "lauric, myristic, palmitic" etc numbers. Here's my 2lb recipe:
Avocado oil 5.75oz (17.97%)
Coconut oil 7.7oz (24.06%)
Cocoa butter 5.1oz (15.94%)
Castor Oil 3.85oz (12.03%)
Shea butter 4.8oz (15%)
Sweet almond 1.9 (5.94%)
Sunflower 2.9oz ((9.06%)
Lye 4.409oz/water 12.16oz (superfat 5%)

And here's the "assessment" that I would love if someone could interpret:
Lauric 12
Myristic 5
Palmitic 12
Stearic 13
Ricinioleic 11
Oleic 31
Linoleic 12
Linolenic 0
Sat: Unsat 43:57

Thank you for your help in advance!
I don't bother with the "numbers" but I think that your soap is probably going to be sticky and soft with that much Castor. I'd keep the castor below 5%. Olive oil is a hard oil that will harden up your soap.

I can't use that much coconut oil. I use less than 10% but generally none at all in soap. High coconut soaps look good in the numbers but they do not last with use. A 100% coconut soap lasts a week in our house.

I also don't use any other oils at less than 10% in a soap because I can't tell the difference.

You might want to look at this recipe which is great as a soap (NOT as a shampoo).
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bar-thanks-lindy.30946/
But it all comes down to personal preference and how your skin reacts to ingredients. So test away!

I have this book and I like it quite a bit. A lot of her recipes use tallow or lard, but there are plenty that don’t. I’m far from an expert and don’t sell anything (yet), but I’ve been happy with her recipes that I’ve used. And they’re not complicated with a hundred different ingredients.

As a bonus, if you’re interested she included a photo gallery of soaps colored with natural ingredients. It’s pretty cool!
Thank you so much!

Hmm - I dunno. I would say increase your shea or cocoa butters but you already have 55% hard fats in there.
Why so much avocado oil? It's quite expensive. It is nice in soap I agree - but I use it at 5%. Have a look in soap calc to see the diff in palmitic between OO, Avocado and RBO - RBO is higher and way cheaper.
Anyway - I think you are probably good to go with your current recipe. Just try it and see what you think.
I'm a soy wax user which adds to the stearic amount in my soap - but I can't remember if you were for or against soy.
So I've checked out more on soy wax, and the thread on it that you started a few years ago. Is it crisco??

Has anyone ever purchased soy wax from Amazon? This one is Brandon's Candles LLC:
https://smile.amazon.com/Natural-So...=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-2
So KiwiMoose, I finally decided to try out your recipe in my lye calc, but when I did, I did not get the same numbers you did:

#​
d+9oneOil/Fat
%​
Pounds​
Ounces​
Grams​
1​
Soybean, 27.5 hydrogenated​
20​
0.4​
6.4​
181.437​