Looking for a Palm-Free New Basic Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapM0m

Reaction score
Hi Soap Friends,

I've been using the same "basic soap recipe" for years now - 31% olive oil, 29% coconut, 28% palm, & 12% sunflower, with a 5% superfat with shea butter. I love this recipe and use it for almost all of my soaps. BUT, I'm not crazy about palm - it's unsustainability, it's allergen tendency, & it just doesn't "benefit" my soaps that much. I love the hardness it adds, and the inexpensiveness, but that's about it. Sooo what does anyone suggest I replace it with? It doesn't have to be an exact substitute - I can obviously adjust the other oils and add others. I've got lots of castor that I use for other products that I've been wanting to add to my basic recipe, although it is obviously not a sub for palm. Anyone mind sharing their basic recipe for ideas? Or suggest how I can change mine to palm-free? Thanks in advance!
Gretchen B

I'm not crazy about either. The animal-product doesn't bother me, but I have customers who wouldn't like it. :( Thanks for the reference to the thread!

Hi Soap Friends, Or suggest how I can change mine to palm-free? Thanks in advance!
Gretchen B
I do not have a right to try to change your mind about using palm, it is your decision in the end. I do use Palm with no feelings of guilt. I also have a hard time trying to tell other countries how to live and feed their families, since this is the only source of income for many villagers. I think about the child with their big brown eyes staring at me looking for something to eat. Also, our country is one of the lowest users of palm oil. I am trying to start a debate here, you simply suggested changing your mind. I am also not one to put animals or people, it must be my age.

Aside from all that. Palm Oil makes beautiful soap if you are looking to make a vegan soap. A high percentage Shea soap is nice but is expensive to make. Looking at your recipe I would not be able to use your soap with the high CO, but if it works for you that is great. I do not go over 18-19% which is for soaps geared to men, for the women's fragranced soap I keep my CO around 15%.

I will never use palm, having witnessed the gigantic palm plantations in west Africa. Huge swaths of natural jungle destroyed and the ecosystem completely disrupted. Sure, locals may do the labor (maybe) for pennies, but the plantations are owned by huge multinationals that rake in all the profit.

FuturePrimitive soap co. sells a palm-free recipe on Etsy if you're looking for something tried and true!

I will never use palm, having witnessed the gigantic palm plantations in west Africa. Huge swaths of natural jungle destroyed and the ecosystem completely disrupted. Sure, locals may do the labor (maybe) for pennies, but the plantations are owned by huge multinationals that rake in all the profit.

FuturePrimitive soap co. sells a palm-free recipe on Etsy if you're looking for something tried and true!
Yes, some corporations producing palm quite literally steal forests from local and Indigenous communities. The sad part is that we consumers often don’t realize our part in driving up demand which leads to such exploitation.

Thanks to all for your palm-free responses! I appreciate your inputs. Lots to think about!
SoapMom

Ok I've compiled several different ideas and come up with a palm-free recipe, but I need someone to help me understand all the "lauric, myristic, palmitic" etc numbers. Here's my 2lb recipe:
Avocado oil 5.75oz (17.97%)
Coconut oil 7.7oz (24.06%)
Cocoa butter 5.1oz (15.94%)
Castor Oil 3.85oz (12.03%)
Shea butter 4.8oz (15%)
Sweet almond 1.9 (5.94%)
Sunflower 2.9oz ((9.06%)
Lye 4.409oz/water 12.16oz (superfat 5%)

And here's the "assessment" that I would love if someone could interpret:
Lauric 12
Myristic 5
Palmitic 12
Stearic 13
Ricinioleic 11
Oleic 31
Linoleic 12
Linolenic 0
Sat: Unsat 43:57

Thank you for your help in advance!

Ok I've compiled several different ideas and come up with a palm-free recipe, but I need someone to help me understand all the "lauric, myristic, palmitic" etc numbers. Here's my 2lb recipe:
Shea butter 4.8oz (15%)
Sweet almond 1.9 (5.94%)
Sunflower 2.9oz ((9.06%)

Lauric 12
Myristic 5
Palmitic 12
Stearic 13
Ricinioleic 11
Oleic 31
Linoleic 12
Linolenic 0

No time to explain right now - but the numbers are pretty good :)

Try RBO or Olive oil to replace one of your other soft oils ( not AVO though) as they will increase your palmitic.

I am also experimenting with recipes in order to achieve a good soap without palm oil and animal fat. I don’t have them with me right now, but why is it important to have a high palmitic value?

BTW, does anyone have an opinion on the book “Simple Natural Soap Making” by Jan Berry?
In the reviews they said she has palm free recipes.

I am also experimenting with recipes in order to achieve a good soap without palm oil and animal fat. I don’t have them with me right now, but why is it important to have a high palmitic value?
It's not necessarily important, but the palmitic and stearic fatty acids combined are what contribute to soap longevity. Ideally you would aim for 30+ for a longer lasting soap.
I get around this by having a high stearic acid profile (13 for Palmitic and 23 for stearic) in my palm-free soap. The soft oils I use are higher in palmitic than most - RBO, OO, Avocado, etc.

Shea butter 4.8oz (15%)
Sweet almond 1.9 (5.94%)
Sunflower 2.9oz ((9.06%)

Lauric 12
Myristic 5
Palmitic 12
Stearic 13
Ricinioleic 11
Oleic 31
Linoleic 12
Linolenic 0

Did you factor in the cost to buy the oils and the adjusted price of a bar of that soap? If the cost is higher, are you sure your customers are going to be fine with paying a higher price?

It's not necessarily important, but the palmitic and stearic fatty acids combined are what contribute to soap longevity. Ideally you would aim for 30+ for a longer lasting soap.
I get around this by having a high stearic acid profile (13 for Palmitic and 23 for stearic) in my palm-free soap. The soft oils I use are higher in palmitic than most - RBO, OO, Avocado, etc.
Thank you! Soap longevity means it won’t go rancid?

Back