Looking for a Mentor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLunaB

Reaction score
*Disclaimer: mods.please move this if it's in the wrong spot*
Hi guys! When I moved to TX I gave away my soap pile to make friends and to get feed back (family loves it but that's a small sample size, and my new acquaintances like the hot process more than my family DX) long story short I realized I wanted to sell my soap so I could find making more, problem is I'm not comfortable doing this on my own and I looked to the net to get some answers. I've read plenty of posts on this site but it was a podcast that mentioned having a mentor. So that's pretty much my question, where can I find a mentor here in central Tx? I can't find any craft clubs that are not sewing related and I'm so lost on trying to find soaking peeps.
Help!

Hmmm... have you tried going to local farmer's markets or handcrafted type shows in your area? That might be a way to make a connection to someone locally. Other than that, I'd recommend joining the Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetics Guild. They have a certification process available to help experienced soapers become top-notch soapmakers -- plus lots of other benefits like being surrounded by the best in the business. May be worth a look?

Miss Luna, in Texas there is a soap gathering twice a year. Personally I have never been. Always wanted to, but there is always something else coming up. This year is in June in Round Rock, but I am am currently moving, and will not be able to attend. In January they meet in Central Texas ..... Ann Marie from Bramble Berry will be there in June.

https://lonestarsoapandtoiletries.com/

Also next year the soap guild will meet in Dallas at the Gaylord hotel, which is REALLY nice. Usually very expensive, but not sure, maybe you do not have to stay there. Also never been, so not sure how that works.

https://www.soapguild.org/conference/

I live close to Dallas, but I am in the process of moving, and not making soap at the time. But PM me, we can keep in touch.

Thank you both for your suggestions! As for the guild I’m kind of on the fence about and for the other info that @SunRiseArts gave me, Thanks! Too bad I won’t be able to go to the June event but the soap guild is a must (just like how I found out A-Kon is in Dallas ) I will contact you later when my time is a bit more stable :)

SRA, I've often thought of attending one of those Texas conferences/retreats you referenced, since I travel to Texas to visit family, but haven't done so yet. Maybe one of these days I might.

MissLunaB, you are very near where the June Conference is, so that might be a perfect solution for you.

Latest posts

Back