Looking for a great Gardenia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t tried many gardenia FO. However, I had a few requests so purchased the Gardenia from Natures Garden. It went over well. I made soap and roll on perfumes. It moved pretty fast at most florals do but I was able to get two colors moving fast.

Kari - soap I made with a Monoi de Tahiti oil at 5% of my base oils is holding its scent 4 months later. I posted about it here. According to Wikipedia the oil is made with a gardenia, but according to the Amazon product page it’s made with Frangipani. It may not smell exactly like the gardenia that grows in Virginia, but it’s similar. One caveat is that everyone I know can smell the scent except my stepmother (?!).

Link to product on Amazon:
Monoi De Tahiti Oil-100% Natural-4 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EKNTR5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_g9PuDbY72Y6Z1

I seem to always be testing gardenia. The last great one I had was Vintage Gardenia from The Scent Works. The biggest issue I have is that I want a gardenia scent but if it is too strong it doesn't come across attractive. So, I want soft but I don't want fading. I suspect the best results will be a blend of a couple of suppliers to get different scent notes.

Today, I have a log of Gardenia Lily from WSP. It is the scent I want but it is really too light. It is now 3 months old and has faded quite a bit. I will find out this weekend if it is still strong enough to sell. My next try will be a blend of LOV with MMS gardenia to see if I can replicate something similar to this scent.

Last year I tested BB's gardenia. At the time there were two and I tested the Cybilla one; it was fine but not outstanding. I still have MMS gardenia purchased probably 2017 and it is strong and has the holding ability but it doesn't have that overall scent I like. Since my bottle is older I have no idea if the current one would be the same. Oregon Trails has a Confederate Jasmine, and although not gardenia has some of the qualities I like. I think it is also a contender to blend with another gardenia.

I am also interested in finding a good Gardenia. I used to purchase one from California Candle that was perfect when mixed with Gardenia from NG. But sadly the owner changed manufacturers and the new Gardenia is not wonderful.

Kari - soap I made with a Monoi de Tahiti oil at 5% of my base oils is holding its scent 4 months later. I posted about it here. According to Wikipedia the oil is made with a gardenia, but according to the Amazon product page it’s made with Frangipani. It may not smell exactly like the gardenia that grows in Virginia, but it’s similar. One caveat is that everyone I know can smell the scent except my stepmother (?!).

Link to product on Amazon:
Monoi De Tahiti Oil-100% Natural-4 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EKNTR5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_g9PuDbY72Y6Z1
Thank you!

OK all you GRITS (Girls Raised In The South), I need help finding a Gardenia fragrance. I have one from CandleScience that I’m disappointed in. It doesn’t smell anything like the Gardenia shrub I have growing out by my horse barn. (Maybe it’s the extra fertilizer!)
Like Gardenia from Lone Star Candle Supply. I mix with their Sparkling Mandarin Tangerine for a great soap fragrance.

While on the topic of Gardenia, has anyone had any experience with the one from Camden Grey? I recently noticed it and some reviews said it smelled just like a Gardenia bush. (I, too, love Gardenia and would like to find one that smells more 'real' than with lots of other notes added.

Latest posts

Back