Looking for a good red colorant.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
Roses are red,
Violets are blue
My soap turned orange
Not a pretty hue.

I'm trying to find a nice true red colorant for cp soap. I've tried several, and haven't found what I'm wanting. They're either too dark, or too blue or morph. I thought I found one, it was lovely when I made it. After saponification, it was a nasty burnt orange color. Not at all what I was going for! I was hoping for something like this. Any recommendations?

red soap.jpg

That is a great red! So the secret is to mix huh? Guess I'll have to order some more supplies. I'm heartbroken! :lol:

Nurture Soap has a red that is called "Really Red". It is especially targeted towards CP soaps to produce a really red color that doesn`t bleed into other colors.

It is on my try-list, but haven`t gotten around to get it just yet. I have a lot of red oxide though, and that works too, if you are carefull an only use it as an accent color.

Nurture Soap has a red that is called "Really Red". It is especially targeted towards CP soaps to produce a really red color that doesn`t bleed into other colors.

It is on my try-list, but haven`t gotten around to get it just yet. I have a lot of red oxide though, and that works too, if you are carefull an only use it as an accent color.

So the red oxide can only be used as an accent? I can't make a mostly red bar with it? Does it morph or bleed or what happens to it?

So the red oxide can only be used as an accent? I can't make a mostly red bar with it? Does it morph or bleed or what happens to it?

Shunt already answered this perfectly, but just wanted to add that you can color a whole soap with red oxide and make it super red. But if you do, you get lots of staining on washcloths etc. If you use less it doesn`t become that red, just pink. If you keep it as an accent though - as shunt already mentioned - you get the best of both worlds.

That is why I have a bit curious how the red one from Nurture behaves compared to my red oxide. But be aware - the info states that it too - if used too much - will stain.
So I guess it isn`t possible to get really, really red soap without getting bleeding, stains or red/pink foam *sigh*.

Nurture Really Red is a good red - if the soap is gelled. Otherwise it is a bright reddish pink. I've only ever used it as an accent, so I don't know how an all red bar with saturated color would do.

Well shoot. I had an idea for a soap and was wanting it to be mainly red with just a little white. Back to the drawing board. Guess I can always go with pink for the main color. Not like I don't have several pink soaps already lol
If you use too much it can bleed. Therefore it's good for a swirl.

Duh. I should have known this. Kind of like the gorgeous black soap I made. I have trouble with oversaturating my soaps :oops: I guess I'll never learn lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It requires a little messing around to get the amount right, but I made all red samples of Really Red and the lather was white and I had no issues with it. I don't use wash clothes but I think you'd probably have to use a LOT to get staining. You have to use enough to get the red (gelled only as stated) but not overdo.

I posted some pics in this thread.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53185&highlight=Nurture's

Last edited:
Thems some nice looking soaps Suzie but please tell me that you dont have them curing on metal baking racks? If they are metal iwould cover them with a tea towel or some baking paper. Metal and soap dont mix

Thems some nice looking soaps Suzie but please tell me that you dont have them curing on metal baking racks? If they are metal iwould cover them with a tea towel or some baking paper. Metal and soap dont mix

Thanks, that's an old photo dills :D
Since reading on this site that I should be covering them I have covered all my trays with paper towel before putting the soap on :)

It requires a little messing around to get the amount right, but I made all red samples of Really Red and the lather was white and I had no issues with it. I don't use wash clothes but I think you'd probably have to use a LOT to get staining. You have to use enough to get the red (gelled only as stated) but not overdo.

I posted some pics in this thread.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53185&highlight=Nurture's

THAT'S THE COLOR I WANT!! OK Calm down self. It's just color lol. I'm gonna order some! And if it stains, then I'll just warn people to use a poof not washcloth. That's all I use anyway lol. Thank you so much guys! You rock!

The only red I have found to get a good red is BB's Labcolors. But they bleed bad. I did a half and half once, dark red on top, dark brown on bottom, separated by a mica line. Didn't have any bleeding issues but I did when I used it in a swirl soap. I'm looking at trying some of Mad Oil's reds. They also don't have any carmine in them. Label factor for those who might need it. Who wants to wash with crushed bugs? Even though the idea of going bug-free is a lot of work, considering how much it seems to be used. So I'm upping the stakes for my soaps and looking for a good, rich, bug-free red. If it doesn't stain washcloths, even better, but I don't use washcloths either. We use the poofs and I think most people really are going for that nowadays anyway. Wonder if colors stain loofahs? I've never worked with loofahs in my soap. I've seen all the fail pics and it's made me terrified.

Well I'm using the Really Red tonight in a swirl. So I'll know very soon if it's what I'm looking for :)

The only red I have found to get a good red is BB's Labcolors. But they bleed bad. I did a half and half once, dark red on top, dark brown on bottom, separated by a mica line. Didn't have any bleeding issues but I did when I used it in a swirl soap. I'm looking at trying some of Mad Oil's reds. They also don't have any carmine in them. Label factor for those who might need it. Who wants to wash with crushed bugs? Even though the idea of going bug-free is a lot of work, considering how much it seems to be used. So I'm upping the stakes for my soaps and looking for a good, rich, bug-free red. If it doesn't stain washcloths, even better, but I don't use washcloths either. We use the poofs and I think most people really are going for that nowadays anyway. Wonder if colors stain loofahs? I've never worked with loofahs in my soap. I've seen all the fail pics and it's made me terrified.

No mica that is soap stable has carmine in it. Carmine fades to almost nothing in a high pH environment. Also, carmine makes micas pink, not red. FYI. :)

Navaria, how did the Really Red mica work for you?

I don't know yet. I put it in to cpop before bed last night and didn't have a chance to check on it this morning. I'll look when I get home. I liked it in the mold last night, so that's promising.

Well the top looked good I guess. It was an ITPS but the inside was a soupy, caustic mess so colors ran together and everything turned purplish brown. Not a good soap to judge off of. My whole dang day has been this way.

Latest posts

Back