Looking for a good red colorant.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I use but I don't know where else you buy it as it's packed for Aussie soap supplies. I like the red anyway. It's non-bleeding.

(Just realised my photo looks a bit pink - in real life it is quite red.

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/liquid-pigment-dispersion-carmine-red.html

FYI Aussie soaps use Brambleberry supplies.
Are those water soluble liquid colours? Did they hold well in the soap?
I have them and they wash out of the soap but it's probably my method [emoji33]

Yes they are Brambleberry. It's a pre-mixed red. I really like it, I can mix it as strong as I like and it goes as red as I'd ever want my soap to be. I haven't noticed it morphing, but my soaps are kept where there is no sunlight (no window in bathroom or curing room.) Months now and no change in the strong colour.

I'm just starting to experiment with the lab colors. I have the citrus green and used it recently, I'm waiting to see how bad the bleed is. My concern with them is the way I do my color blends. As a painter (notice I didn't say artist, I'm not that good) I can look at a color and say "I want a hint of red in that" or "I need that shade, but darker/lighter" I can do the same with micas and pigments. Lab colors I can't do that because they look SO different in and out of the soap. I would have to completely relearn my color blends lol

Yes they are Brambleberry. It's a pre-mixed red. I really like it, I can mix it as strong as I like and it goes as red as I'd ever want my soap to be. I haven't noticed it morphing, but my soaps are kept where there is no sunlight (no window in bathroom or curing room.) Months now and no change in the strong colour.

Do the colours stick when you use them? I have the yellow which just washed right out of the soap after a good cure!

I'm just starting to experiment with the lab colors. I have the citrus green and used it recently, I'm waiting to see how bad the bleed is. My concern with them is the way I do my color blends. As a painter (notice I didn't say artist, I'm not that good) I can look at a color and say "I want a hint of red in that" or "I need that shade, but darker/lighter" I can do the same with micas and pigments. Lab colors I can't do that because they look SO different in and out of the soap. I would have to completely relearn my color blends lol

Just as a matter of interest because you reminded me of it...

I thought this product was long gone but the copyright says 2016 and apparently it's still available. It's a set of FD&C dyes with color formulas.

http://selectshades.com/

Now look at these nifty charts linked below. Click the menu bar along the top and you can see how the colors look in CP/HP or castile/bastile or transparent products or opaque white products.

http://selectshades.com/chart/index.php

Kinda clever system. I don't know why it never got more users and distributors in all these years.

Just as a matter of interest because you reminded me of it...

I thought this product was long gone but the copyright says 2016 and apparently it's still available. It's a set of FD&C dyes with color formulas.

http://selectshades.com/

Now look at these nifty charts linked below. Click the menu bar along the top and you can see how the colors look in CP/HP or castile/bastile or transparent products or opaque white products.

http://selectshades.com/chart/index.php

Kinda clever system. I don't know why it never got more users and distributors in all these years.

Oh that's a great little chart! So easy to get exactly what you want!

Prismatic Pigments' Scarlet Red is INCREDIBLE. That color was achieved with about 1/2 tsp per pound of soap.

Cover Photo.jpg

Oh wow that is awesome! Do you have issues with it being pink if it's not gelled or any bleeding/staining?

Oh wow that is awesome! Do you have issues with it being pink if it's not gelled or any bleeding/staining?

Thus far, I have had no issues with the color. When you receive it from the distributor, it's HOT PINK in the pouch. I was kinda in shock when I saw it. lol But the instant I added oil to a bit to mix it for my soap, it turned that deep red color. There really wasn't an issue with the color being anything but red for me, but I immediately used the recommended amount instead of seeing what it would be like in smaller amounts.

But that hot pink, man.. lol. It tripped me out at first.

Oh I'm sure! The Really Red is pinkish as well. And I'm pretty sure the nurture website said if you don't gel it, the hot pink will come through. I really wish I hadn't FUBAR'd that batch of soap. I was so excited to see how it would turn out.

I have and have tried to use select shades but it took way too much to achieve the colors I wanted. I have them in a box somewhere. I prefer my Micas and oxides.

Do the colours stick when you use them? I have the yellow which just washed right out of the soap after a good cure!

I haven't noticed any fading of those colours - I have soaps 7 months old that don't seem to have faded at all. I use the FD&C colours from Aussie soaps - the brites and the other liquid pigment dispersions. You don't need much to get a bright/deep colour either.

I haven't noticed any fading of those colours - I have soaps 7 months old that don't seem to have faded at all. I use the FD&C colours from Aussie soaps - the brites and the other liquid pigment dispersions. You don't need much to get a bright/deep colour either.

Have you used your soap? My colours haven't faded but as soon as I use them they wash out. I may not have shaken the bottle enough, maybe?
I think I have to be more careful about my colouring methods. :crazy:

Have you used your soap? My colours haven't faded but as soon as I use them they wash out. I may not have shaken the bottle enough, maybe?
I think I have to be more careful about my colouring methods. :crazy:

Yes I've used all my soap and I haven't noticed the colour washing out in the shower. That seems rather weird. I am however having some issues with faded looking colours after the soap has saponified (usually with soft chalky soap at the same time). I don't know whether they're not gelling properly or something. Other soaps I make are gelled all the way through, hard and the colours bright. Doesn't seem to be the recipe I use so I don't get it.

We've had a sudden cooling of the weather down here, that could be it. Maybe the house is a bit cold sometimes. It's so annoying, I keep ruining my eucalyptus soap. I've tried oxides and the pigment dispersions in that soap and I keep having the same issue.

Darn gremlins! Grrrr :?

Sooooo... Nurtures Really Red was added in my last package since I reallyreallyreally wanted to try it out. Perhaps this new challenge is a perfect time to put it to the test.

I see at least 2 images that have really red colors in them.

L.o.v.e the new challenge, btw, it spoke to me big time (or rather, shouted) Perfect time to get re-invented with brighter colors.

Thank you newbie!!!!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue
My soap turned orange
Not a pretty hue.

I'm trying to find a nice true red colorant for cp soap. I've tried several, and haven't found what I'm wanting. They're either too dark, or too blue or morph. I thought I found one, it was lovely when I made it. After saponification, it was a nasty burnt orange color. Not at all what I was going for! I was hoping for something like this. Any recommendations?
I fond this red and really like it. I took a picture of it in MP and CP for you.
http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=199&category_id=28

comparison 2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back