Looking for a good cheap soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresa

Reaction score
Okay so I am making soaps for my friend's baby shower but when I keep buying all these same oils everytime it seems so expensive.
I have to make 60 and using 4 pound loaves.
I have been buying Olive Oil, Palm Oil, and Coconut Oil for the mail oils.
Is there any other combination to buy for a cheaper combination.
Thanks so much!

Plus unless you have 6 months to prepare, you really don't want to be testing new recipes now... You wouldn't want the favors to go rancid on them, would you? Go with a tried and true recipe that you are confident will stand up to time and bathroom storage conditions.

thanks.. was just checking if there was a cheaper way of doing it.. Guess it's the best way. It seems to give the best bar.

I hear candice19 is selling her recipes. Maybe she has an inexpensive one you may be interested in?

If you can find low linolenic (not linoleic, linolenic) soy oil, you can sub for part of the olive, as long as you leave it below a certain percentage. Make sure your linoleic is below 15 in soapcalc too. At $26 for 35 pounds, that is a way to reduce cost. Soy oil makes a nice conditioning soap which is very similar to olive, so it will not affect the qualities of your soap. But, soy is more prone to DOS so only sub some, and buy the low linolenic.

Good luck with your project.

Soapy Gurl said:
Where are you buying from? Soaper's Choice is pretty cheap.

Yes, where are you buying your oils?

Rice bran oil is similar chemically to olive oil and is a bit cheaper. Personally, I like RBO but I know many soapers prefer OO.

Hello, Thanks everyone. I do buy from Soapers Choice. I think it was just me because I did a few too many... I guess it was the cheapest way but i think i would like to try rice bran oil...Thanks again.

Making it for less

Don't scream at me anyone... if they are no vegans to worry about how about adding in some lard to cut the cost of the other oils or even the palm shortening you can purchase at a Smart & Final. Canola can also be an acceptable replacement for some or all of the olive. I happen to love to soap with olive or canola, lard coconut and either palm or palm shortening with 5 -10% castor as it is slow trace and gives swirl time.
Sometimes one has to save when possible

Carolyn Z
czwickandsuds.com

I always have the worst dos problems with canola. Anyone else?
I always hear how much people love it, so I think canola just hates me :wink:

hmm never tried canola. i guess i just stick to the basics.. olive, coconut, and palm..
i wouldn't mind trying though if i knew which were good. thanks.

I have never had a problem with canola and dos. Maybe I am just lucky, as I use it quite often when I want a light color soap. Although I do not use it over 25%, usually it is in a lard soap with light olive oil & castor oil
I buy my oils from Cibaria. They have comparable prices to Soapers Choice and seem to ship faster. It always takes 2 weeks for me to get oils from Soapers Choice and I am only in Calif.
Carolyn Z
czwickandsuds.com

Latest posts

Back