Looking for a few good online soapmakers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judilynn

Reaction score
Hi All. I joined this forum a while ago, but to be honest I haven't posted a lot.

I have an idea for something. I am looking for 5 soapmakers to interview. These have to be people who make soap and sell it online. People who are actually making some money at it and are willing to share that information with others.

Doesn't have to be just soap, can be anything related. An aromatherapist, herbalist, the sky is the limit, well almost :)

If I can get enough people to interview I would like to write a booklet. With tips and advice for those wanting to start to sell their products.

Good questions. While I would love to have it printed in traditional format, I am not banking on it. It would just be in electronic form (more than likely PDF)

And it wouldn't be for the soapmakers per se. It is for those who want to be soapmakers wanting to sell their craft. Those who are struggling and need the inspiration and the encouragement of those who have made it or are on their way to making it.

There is a book out there. I own it even. I can't remember the title at the moment, sorry. But it is not what I am going for. I am looking for something more "real". From those of you out there in the small kitchens and workshops. Knowing how you did it.

Hope that makes sense. I have been to a ton of forums lately. It seems that is a frequently asked question. How do I sell my soap? I am not asking for trade secrets LOL. But more for your inspirations. What keeps you motivated. What was the thing that made your business become a business rather than just a hobby. The words and advice you would give to others.

Thanks for considering it!

That is an interesting concept. There is an online book I ran across the other day that you purchase online, then they send you the link and log-on password for you to download it. It was like "Soapmaking For Dummies" or something like that. A buddy and fellow soapier sent me the link stating..."What will they think of next to sell a book on teaching soap making?" There is so much hype right now involving the soap business. Now don't get me wrong, I make and sell a lot of TOG Soapmaking Tools to soapiers, but, there are a lot of people wanting to just throw some oils and lye solution together, measuring or eyeballing it in a measuring cup, then cutting the product in a day and selling it a week after making it calling it "Good ole fashioned tried and true lye soap." BOLOGNA!

What a crock of bologna! These people are out to bring us true long-haul people who have been doing this for years down with them. Poppycock I say. I better climb down off my soap box now and catch a breath. I gotta get to work back in the TOG Shop, just thought I had to chime in on this subject too.

Paul.... :wink:

That is the idea for e-books yeap.

But this is not a how to make soap book. I have been making soap for 12 years. I know better than just slapping it together and selling it next week. And we won't even go where to MP soap, K?

This is from people just like you. Would your advice be to learn the process? Make high quality soap before you even think of trying to sell it? See that is where I am going.

I totally understand if no one would like to participate. I am not asking anyone to share their secrets, just their advice.

Sorry if I offended anyone at all.

No one has been offended. I think we are all just curious. I was just poking fun at Paul. He isn't easy to get going & he writes silly songs when he drinks-LOL.

Tabitha said:
He isn't easy to get going & he writes silly songs when he drinks-LOL.

I have a friend that resembles that. As long as he doesn't get up on the table to sing I am fine.

I just don't want anyone to think I am hunting for their recipes to steal and sell for myself. I will gladly share all my recipes though.

I just feel a real passion for helping those who would like to do this to get off on the right foot. I have been doing this forever. I have seen so many talented soap makers throw in the towel within a year or too. It's a shame really. It takes a passion, gumption and drive. And maybe a bit of beer and silly songs?

I have been making soap for 12 years. I know better than just slapping it together and selling it next week. And we won't even go where to MP soap, K?

Um...I think I might be a little irritated at this, want to explain it a little better to me?

I have been making soap for 12 years. I know better than just slapping it together and selling it next week. And we won't even go where to MP soap, K?

Um...I think I might be a little irritated at this, want to explain it a little better to me?

I am sure you have heard it. the people that say... Oh isn't this the stuff they sell at Michael's? I can just do this myself.

This irritates me more than the comment. Lye soap? My grandmother used that. I won't touch the stuff.

See I have a whole new set of issues LOL

I'm sorry, I did not mean any of these comments I made to reflect against you, or your post in general. I do think anyone who donates to a successful book on your part should be compensated in some manner though. I have a passion for CP soapmaking that lead me to my current passion, making soapmaking tools. I have been building on that endeavor for about 1-1/2 years now, and just now am getting pretty successful at my TOG Soapmaking Tools! business.
There was another incident here on the forum today that got me rilled, Tab and smellitlikeitis know what I'm referring to, but it got my dander up, and I let a little steam off in my last post. Sorry again, I'm usually not that forceful. :roll: :)
Once again, I apologise, my bad!

Tabitha said:
No one has been offended. I think we are all just curious. I was just poking fun at Paul. He isn't easy to get going & he writes silly songs when he drinks-LOL.

I feel another margarita in store tonight, maybe a song sung here too! :lol: Thankfully, typing my songs is one thing, I'm sure glad our computers can't sing in my voice to you guys! :lol: :lol: :wink:
You guys are fantastic friends! Thank all of you!

Soapmaker Man said:
I'm sorry, I did not mean any of these comments I made to reflect against you, or your post in general. I do think anyone who donates to a successful book on your part should be compensated in some manner though.

No bad at all. Believe me I know what it like to get your dander up.

I hadn't even thought of compensation but you do have a good point. I was willing to give it away as a resource. It would have your web address and email if you would like. So if people were interested enough to get the booklet it would be free advertising for you.

Any other input? You have given me a bunch to think about!

Drag, I think Judi was pointing out she agreed with Paul that yes, people talk a lot of non sense about CP and then added but even more about M&P which is true.

Judi, the mod team has had a stressful day, maybe we should stop by your house for maragrittas.

BTW: (Hijack in progress) I am looking for a great lime margaritta scent. Anyone know of one?

Tabitha said:
Judi, the mod team has had a stressful day, maybe we should stop by your house for maragrittas.

BTW: (Hijack in progress) I am looking for a great lime margaritta scent. Anyone know of one?

I don't have any maragrittas, but I have a few bottles of ice wine I have been saving :)

I am really surprized how much people are snapping up my keylime scent of anything. It seems to be so popular this season. I didn't make enough for my last show.

Latest posts

Back