Look what DH has made

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymakinsoap!

Reaction score
Well I have longed for a nice log mold, but alas they cant be sourced here in little old NZ. So for my birthday I request some DIY soap molds from my partner (who happens to be a builder)

This is what he made:

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/p08031110261.jpg/

And for cutting:

http://img806.imageshack.us/i/p0803111027.jpg/

The mold holds 10 x 100g bars or 8 x 125 and the cutter is set at 2cm and 2.5 cm cool eh?

Now I'm just waiting on my ingredients to arrive so I can try them out (tap, tap, tap)

Isn't it great to have handy husbands! Those look wonderful. Ned to post picks when supplies come and soap is made.

yep, and I'm sure they will be a whole lot better than ice cream containers and pringles tins lol

I havnt used wooden molds before, do you think I will need to line these since the sides fold down? or will the mix react with the wood?

Oh yes, you have to line them. You wouldn't be able to get the soap out otherwise and the lye will destroy the wood over time. People use freezer paper, parchment paper, I think someone used mylar sheeting, and various types of plastic sheeting. I'm sure people will post what they've used but of course you have to make certain that any type of plastic you use can withstand the lye. Those molds look great! You could probably sell them to every soaper in NZ!

he did a great job! congrats!! I use freezer paper to line my wooden mold.

Love the moulds, now if I could only get dh to make me one like that. Mine is a wooden mould ,but no drop down sides. I just turn mine over and shake like mad. I use baking paper to line mine with,otherwise the soap sticks. You should be able to get a few uses out of one lot of paper.

Relle.

What an outstanding birthday pressie!

I have friends who make soap in NZ ... I think they bought there moulds from a place in Christchurch, or maybe it was Dunedin ... but I think yours looks better!

Awesome molds! My DH who is also a builder just made me some wooden loaf molds also...take down with wing nuts....LOVE, LOVE LOVE them! Until 2 weekes ago, I was using 2 old antique wooded Kraft cheese boxes which didn't give me the width I wanted for my bars. I love the hinges on yours! He made me 3....now I need 3 more...LOL

Since learning how to fold liners (right here!) I have found that I can sometimes lift the entire loaf out of the liner without taking off the ends. Of course, if any has leaked, that isn't the case.

They look wonderful! Very nicely done. It is so nice to have a partner that is willing to help. My husband made my log molds for me as well. He put wing nuts on one side to take it off. (I discovered later, I don't really use that feature as the freezer paper lifts right out, but I didn't know)

Back