Look at this!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smee

Reaction score
One jar of plain ol' LIQUID (well, so far it's still liquid) soap
One jar of bergamot-lemon (not too fond of it now that it's blended into
the soap, and it clouded somewhat)
And one jar of good ol' lemon scented!
:clap:

I used a simple coconut & olive oil recipe as a first-time attempt.

1stLiquidSoap_zps9dd3cce0.jpg

Those look wonderful! I would love to try making some liquid soaps after I get used to CP. I bet they smell wonderful as well. I like Bergamot and Lemon, sory it is a bit discolored... did you make them all at the same time and the scent them? I am just curious why only one of them is cloudy...

Update: they're all clear as bells this morning. YAY! I made one batch
and divided it before scenting each. No colors added. That's what
color the batch cooked into. I LOVE bergamot-lime, but didn't have
enough FO so had to substitute with lemon, which I liked when I mixed it.
Don't know why it doesn't appeal as much now that it's in the soap. oh well

And now to try something a little more complicated! Jojoba shampoo
maybe??

You're next, Badger!

Smee, what recipe did you use? I am tempted to try liquid soap to use for washing dishes. I think I prefer it to using my bar soap, but I really prefer to have complete control over what is in the soap. (Yep, no issues here.)

I am glad the third one cleared up for you! They are awesome :) Do these need preservatives or what kind of shelf life do they have? I love my soaps in the shower, but I often prefer liquid soaps at the sink. Also, how does this work or differ from dish soap? Am I asking too many questions? ;-)

Dear Badger, to answer your many questions, I have no idea :shh:

I didn't put a preservative in them only because it wasn't listed in the
recipe. I'm debating about a bit of Germall tho. And I just finished
turning about 3 oz of the plain into milk shampoo derived from a recipe
in a soaping101 video LSG (I think?) posted elsewhere. I think it turned
out fabulous! Used heavy cream instead of coconut milk. I've never ever
been able to comb & blowdry my hair without tons of conditioner before.

update: Wait, I found it. LSG posted the soaping101 vid on how to make
liquid castile, and I followed that to the following week's vid on how to
make shampoo from the castile. see it here:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/liquid-soap-preservative-necessary-32752/ )
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/liquid-soap-preservative-necessary-32752/http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/liquid-soap-preservative-necessary-32752/

Last edited:
Thank you for the link and the answers! I love how helpful everyone here is :)

This is my first attempt, ruby, that's why I'm so tickled about it turning out well :shock:

HouseofWool, I used the "All around cleaning soap" listed here:
http://chickensintheroad.com/house/crafts/how-to-make-liquid-soap/

I don't remember who it was here that posted this link, but I found it pretty helpful.
So, THANK YOU! to whoever you are! :wave:

Below is the recipe but does your soap dry out your skin? it's nearly half coconut! also, did you superfat at 3%? How far did you dilute it? My soap with high amounts of coconut keep making my hands feel dry after :( it's very disheartening because I love making clear soap but everyone says that I don't need to add more than 20% coconut to keep me from drying out. I really don't see as much bubbles. I actually bought a bottle of the Dr. Bronner's soap so I could compare. There seems to be a lot more bubbles and, yep, that made my skin feel somewhat dry also. It's so runny also. I would like to get more cleaning power though :/. I'm glad to hear it cleared up later after adding the fragrance. I added lemongrass to one and it clouded up too. Took a week or so for it to clear up. I probably should have added some glycerin (and I added the oils after the soap was done and in a bottle)

Oils
23 ounces coconut oil
25 ounces olive oil
Lye Solution
12 ounces potassium hydroxide
36 ounces distilled water

One jar of plain ol' LIQUID (well, so far it's still liquid) soap
One jar of bergamot-lemon (not too fond of it now that it's blended into
the soap, and it clouded somewhat)
And one jar of good ol' lemon scented!
:clap:

I used a simple coconut & olive oil recipe as a first-time attempt.

1stLiquidSoap_zps9dd3cce0.jpg

Did you go the glycerin route when making the KOH solution or use water?

I love making it with Glycerin. Sooooooo easy and no standing and stirring! lol.
THe shampoo-coconut recipe from the soaping 101 video... I did find the liquid glycerin recipe to be very conditioning but the amount of bubbles in the soap for her recipe in the video were laughable. I wouldn't use it for anything but hand soap :/. Also, did it neutralize fairly easily? did you have to cook it for long? I've learned to print my recipies from soapcal.net and take notes as i'm going along.

Did you go the glycerin route when making the KOH solution or use water?

I love making it with Glycerin. Sooooooo easy and no standing and stirring! lol.
THe shampoo-coconut recipe from the soaping 101 video... I did find the liquid glycerin recipe to be very conditioning but the amount of bubbles in the soap for her recipe in the video were laughable. I wouldn't use it for anything but hand soap :/. Also, did it neutralize fairly easily? did you have to cook it for long? I've learned to print my recipies from soapcal.net and take notes as i'm going along.

Sorry, I guess I missed this yesterday. No, I used distilled water for my
first attempt. Does the glycerin & KOH release toxic fumes like water &
NaOH? I know it can boil up rapidly, but I'm leary of trying it until I
know for sure due to having birds in my home. They're pretty sensitive
to stuff like that, and I can't exactly move the stove out to the garage :problem:
...can I?

Anyway, yes, the original batch did seem rather drying, so I've added a
good bit of glycerin, which made a huge difference. The bubbles aren't
worth writing home about, like you said, tho. I guess it neutralized
easily, but I have nothing to compare it to. It cooked about 4 hours,
just like the recipe estimated. All in all, I was pretty tickled with the
results. My goal here was to actually DO this, as I've been avoiding
it because I thought it was so hard, and so complicated.
(and I didn't have a crock pot :p ) I did print off the instructions, and
jotted weights & observations & such so I'll know what I want to
change next time I make this...and I think I will make it again, but
with less coconut and more olive or another oil added, and...
oh yeah, here I go already!

Thanks for the encouragement, Mildred!

Thank you so very much for sharing the liquid soap recipe. I read the lady's story and that is so inspiring. Thanks again! :thumbup:

Sorry, I guess I missed this yesterday. No, I used distilled water for my
first attempt. Does the glycerin & KOH release toxic fumes like water &
NaOH? I know it can boil up rapidly, but I'm leary of trying it until I
know for sure due to having birds in my home. They're pretty sensitive
to stuff like that, and I can't exactly move the stove out to the garage :problem:
...can I?

I didn't smell very much coming off it at all. Nowhere near like what NaOH releases. Very little in the way of fumes.

it can boil up rapidly, but I'm leary of trying it until I
know for sure due to having birds in my home.

Anyway, yes, the original batch did seem rather drying, so I've added a
good bit of glycerin, which made a huge difference. The bubbles aren't
worth writing home about, like you said, tho.

Thanks for the encouragement, Mildred!

Yay! i'm glad your first experience went well :)

Now tell me, what percentage of glycerin did you add to the diluted soap? I'm hearing 5% of your diluted soap is standard and have wondered what happens if you add more? If anyone can give me some insight here, i'd appreciate it.

I know I just posted about the soaping 101 recipe for glycerin castile soap, but I think I need to take some of that back :). I posted a new topic asking about sequestering. The recipe didn't seem to produce any real bubbles but that was a batch I made a couple weeks ago. I tried the soap, was dissapointed with the amount of bubbles/cleaning power and set it aside. I tried the soap again today, for whatever reason, and it actually was quite nice! I had to really work hard to get a lather but once I got it, I rather liked it. :) So let them puppies sit in their jars for a couple weeks. I thought sequestering was only to allow the soap to clear up but I guess not. Please take a look at that thread and comment if you all will so as not to hijack your celebration of a first liquid soap!

First, a warning about glycerin. While water boils at 212 degrees, Glycerin will not. Glycerin can get much hotter and be perfectly still. I burned the **** out of my hand with a spec of glycerin that was beyond 220 degrees. Also, as you add in the KOH to the Glycerin do it slowly. That soap 101 chick put all that KOH nearly all at once. You saw her remove it from the hot plate in the video? I think because it overflowed! lol. Anyhow, add the koh slowly and just do it over the stove with the fan on, You can heat up the glycerin in a microwave safe bowl, take it outside and mix it if you like. Once it's all incorporated you should fine to come back in after a few minutes. I know birds are very sensitive to things in the air (I own a non-toxic housekeeping service). I would do a 2 to 1 glycerin to KOH ratio. You'll be amazed how much easier it is using glycerin in place of water. The whole process is cut in half. You will not work your hand blender so hard either. By the way, I bought some cheap-ass immersion blender on amazon, a Hamilton beach off-label one for around $15 and I melted it! LOL, the Glycerin got to be about 300% and I didn't let it cool down before adding it in. I actually contacted Hamilton beach to tell them the blender "stopped working" (it did, but they never asked why or how hehe) and they sent me a new one. All I had to do was email them a picture of the device showing I had cut the power cord. I was not required to return anything. I purchased this blender for half off! It's still on sale if you guys want one.

I noticed if you make a recipe that has between 25-35% coconut, yeah it's drying but if you dilute it to around 20% it's not as drying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, for glycerin-based liquid soap, you really should invest in a SB that has a stainless steel shaft. I use the $20 Hamilton Beach from Walmart - has a SS shaft. The price on Amazon (as long as its sold by Amazon) is the normal price they sell it for ;)

Mildred, reading my notes and cipherin' in my head, I did aprx 5% glycerin after I had
finished & cooled my batch because it did feel too drying. Later, once I'd mixed some in
a foaming dispenser, I added a good bit more, which really did make it feel much
nicer...how much? I confess, I dunno. Just kept squirting & trying, squirting & trying
until I liked how my hands felt - this was over the course of several hours, not one
continuous experiment.
I have also added quite a bit to a shampoo I mixed up. Again, this was more play-time
for me, and I didn't weigh everything. Figured if I didn't like what I got, I'd start a new
bottle, as I was playing with about 8 oz of soap for each thing I tried.

But it was definitely at least 10% or more glycerin that I've added, and have been pretty happy with the results.

Keep in mind, Mildred, that I have nothing to compare to. YET! :mrgreen:

And yes, I so want to do the glycerin for my next batch instead of water.
I will definitely do the microwave method you mentioned. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back