Loofah seed oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdc1978

Reaction score
I've seen loofah seed oil on soapcalc.com....my mom just sent me a big box of homegrown loofah and I'm wondering if I could somehow use the seeds to make loofah seed oil.

I've done a basic Google search but didn't see anything so I thought I'd try and see id anyone had any idea.

Also has anyone used it before? What qualities would it bring to the soap or body product?

TYIA!

I've seen loofah seed oil on soapcalc.com....my mom just sent me a big box of homegrown loofah and I'm wondering if I could somehow use the seeds to make loofah seed oil.

I've done a basic Google search but didn't see anything so I thought I'd try and see id anyone had any idea.

Also has anyone used it before? What qualities would it bring to the soap or body product?

TYIA!
No/yes if you had a roller press or some kind of extrusion expeller to get the oil out, then yes you could use the seeds but if you don't have any way to press the oil out of the seed then they are only good for growing more. It takes a lot of pressure to squeeze the oil out of a seed.

No/yes if you had a roller press or some kind of extrusion expeller to get the oil out, then yes you could use the seeds but if you don't have any way to press the oil out of the seed then they are only good for growing more. It takes a lot of pressure to squeeze the oil out of a seed.

Thank you! Your answer affirms my basic research.....which is that you have to buy an instrument to do it. Said instrument is at least $90 (used) and I was ever only marginally interested! LOL

Thanks for the response. I like the idea of someone using them but i don't even know anyone with an expelled so I could sent it to them.

Thank you! Your answer affirms my basic research.....which is that you have to buy an instrument to do it. Said instrument is at least $90 (used) and I was ever only marginally interested! LOL

Thanks for the response. I like the idea of someone using them but i don't even know anyone with an expelled so I could sent it to them.
I will also add that even if you had something to press the oil out, it could take anywhere from 1 pound to a 1,000 pounds to even get maybe an ounce. Depends on how much oil is contained in the seeds, plus some seeds need special treatment to even get the oil out.

I will be packaging these soaps for my friend. I think this a reasonable amount of soap for $50, right???

However I have a pretty laborious afternoon ahead of me. I'll have to find something mindless to binge watch!

Attachments

• 20210213_123033.jpg
    20210213_123033.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 10
I would say you have close to $200 retail in those soaps +/- $20. So yeah that is a hell of deal. Plus that is a lot of weight. If I used an average of 3ozs per bar, you would have close to 9 pounds of soap, again +/- 2 pounds. I hope it isn't going very far lol.

Latest posts

Back