Longtime lurker exposing myself in NC.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueginkgo

Reaction score
Hi folks, after reading here for quite a few years I think it's time to come out into the light. I'm Ken, my wife is Karen, and we live in Archdale NC, a small town that butts up against High Point.

We started using handmade soap in the early 2000s. When the soapmaker we were buying from quit making soap in 2008 we tried a couple of other makers but just weren't satisfied with their products so I decided to try making our own. My first few batches were fairly mediocre but I did a ton of reading online and in books and by about the fourth batch I had a product I was pleased with. I started giving it away to friends and family doing little tweaks here and there and finally reached the point where I felt comfortable selling to a few friends and friends of friends.

Finally in 2016 I felt that I had reached the point that I could go public and opened up a website. At that time I had many irons in too many different fires and didn't put the effort into the site that it needed. Other things in life have now calmed down and I'm working now on rejuvenating to website

Looking forward to posting out in the other forums. - Ken

It’s fascinating how people discover soap making and then this forum. I started around 2004 when husband helped neighbor butcher his huge heifer w/loads of clean white fat I rendered. Made first CP batch of plain lye soap from TheSage recipe site. Graduated to hot processed for faster cures and far less residual fumes to deal with. I’m finding that essential oils are easier on my sensitive eyes than FOs. But find some will not bother eyes as much as others. Nurture eo/fo blends are good to me. Taking a break and just remaking scraps, ugly colored boo-boos and basic lye I have on hand. Endless possibilities in this hobby/ business. Adding glycerin, sugar & vodka to make nice clear soap from yucky colors.
Good luck & have safe fun!

Latest posts

Back