Longevity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed.balaun

Reaction score
No matter how much I adjust my oils/butters, I can’t ever seem to reach the recommended number for “Longevity“. Everything else falls into place. I always come up short.

So, what contributes to Longevity? What should I adjust?

Also, I have searched and can’t seem to find a comprehensive list of what properties each oil or butter contribute to the soap. Is there a good list somewhere? Is there also a good explanation of everything on the soap calculator?

The soap calculator lyecalc.com shows you the values of each oil, you have to enter a weight for it, like this:
1658808809719.png

No matter how much I adjust my oils/butters, I can’t ever seem to reach the recommended number for “Longevity“. Everything else falls into place. I always come up short.

So, what contributes to Longevity? What should I adjust?

Also, I have searched and can’t seem to find a comprehensive list of what properties each oil or butter contribute to the soap. Is there a good list somewhere? Is there also a good explanation of everything on the soap calculator?
I would recommend reading Fatty acid profiles at 'Modern soapmaking' site. You can understand what contributes to what. That was like my bible when I started soap making

I agree with DeeAnna give us something to start with by showing us your recipe. I guarantee no one is going to copy it...:D:D Also, you cannot always believe the numbers. My recipes make soaps that will easily last a month but do not indicate this by the numbers.

I can’t ever seem to reach the recommended number for “Longevity“. Everything else falls into place.
I wouldn't worry about it until you actually experience the problem, IF you have a problem. I never did. 😁

At this point, you should be making as many small batches of tried and true formulas as often as you can to find something you like and that agrees with your skin. Be sure to run every one of them through a calculator before soaping. Keep good notes -- pay attention to the Longevity value for future reference. Here's one to get you started:

BASIC TRINITY OF OILS

So, what contributes to Longevity?
Two things:

1. A full cure, normally 4-6 weeks with a balanced SAT/UNSAT ratio (50/50 - 40/60). Some formulas like 100% olive oil Castile take 12 weeks or longer (ZNSC excepted. 😁 ) You can measure the optimum amount of time it takes by weighing once a week until the bar weight reaches a plateau. :thumbs:

2. Keeping the bar "high & dry" between use with a soap saver dish with good drainage. :)

Latest posts

Back