Longevity and Lye concentration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winusuren

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to know if lye concentration and longevity are inter-related. Suppose if a soap is made with three different lye concentrations: 30%, 33% and 37% and all the three are cured for 6 weeks, how will the outcome be? Will all the soaps have the same longevity or will there be some changes?? I'm a newbie and currently working on 33% lye concentration. All these days I have been working with virgin olive oil and I feel that I'm spending too much money on this particular oil alone. So I'm planning to move on to olive - pomace, but I'm afraid the batter will thicken up quickly. With a lot of struggle I finally brought my longevity to 26 and if I reduce my lye concentration to work with olive - pomace, I might have some changes in the longevity. I'm just curious to find out the answer how lye concentration affects the longevity of the soap. Have anyone tried different lye concentrations and noticed different results?? Kindly provide your valuable answers.

Last edited:
It does not affect longevity except to the extent that it affects cure time. If the soap is still losing water weight, it’s going to be more soluble as a result of the additional water that hasn’t yet cured out of the bar. But when the additional water has cited out, the longevity will be the same.

Regarding the olive oil, you have gone from one extreme to the other. Rather than virgin or pomace, you could use “regular” or “light” olive oil. It will be less expensive than virgin but won’t trace as fast as pomace.

It does not affect longevity except to the extent that it affects cure time. If the soap is still losing water weight, it’s going to be more soluble as a result of the additional water that hasn’t yet cured out of the bar. But when the additional water has cited out, the longevity will be the same.

Regarding the olive oil, you have gone from one extreme to the other. Rather than virgin or pomace, you could use “regular” or “light” olive oil. It will be less expensive than virgin but won’t trace as fast as pomace.
Thank you for your reply. In India, light olive oil and extra virgin olive oil have almost the same cost. I'll experiment and make small batches to check out how it's working.

Latest posts

Back