Longest lasting EOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently opened up a box of stored ZNSC (slight recipe mod) from late December 2019 that I made using an eo blend of 65% lavandin 25% patchouli and 10% litsea. The soap also contained 2% orange wax. Much to my delight, the lavandin’s lavender note is still there. Almost two years of curing did not create a miracle lather, but the soap smells great.

It was good to revisit this thread again. I use EOs exclusively. I store cured soaps in cardboard boxes. I add in cotton balls with drops of the same EO.
That's a good idea, @Zing Do you punch any holes in your boxes? I store my cured soaps in cardboard boxes too.

That's a good idea, @Zing Do you punch any holes in your boxes? I store my cured soaps in cardboard boxes too.
Yes, I cut holes in the sides and top of shoe boxes. I recently had a bad experience with DOS so after finding advice here, I now line the bottom with a paper towel and toss in NEW (not used) silica gel packs.

Yes, I cut holes in the sides and top of shoe boxes. I recently had a bad experience with DOS so after finding advice here, I now line the bottom with a paper towel and toss in NEW (not used) silica gel packs.
I don't have holes in my boxes, but am thinking I might punch some. I live in a VERY dry climate (Colorado @9000ft) so the humidity is always very low. I use parchment paper at the bottom of the boxes.

@maryloucb I’m curious about the bergamot since some have found that it fades fast. Was it in a blend? Maybe @Zing can chime in too since he is another bergamot fan. I would love to use it but worry about the fading.

I store my eo soaps in cardboard trading card boxes that don’t have air holes. I move them into the boxes when they’re 6-8 weeks into the cure and haven’t had any issues with DOS to date. I live in a humid region and along a coast, but the AC helps to keep the humidity down in the house during the summer. One batch of stored soap is almost 2 years old, but most are in the range of 6-12 months old.

@maryloucb I’m curious about the bergamot since some have found that it fades fast. Was it in a blend? Maybe @Zing can chime in too since he is another bergamot fan. I would love to use it but worry about the fading.
I do use bergamot in a couple of blends—one is with bay rum (or clove-whichever I have,) lime, litsea and orange. The other is with cedarwood

It was good to revisit this thread again. I use EOs exclusively. I store cured soaps in cardboard boxes. I add in cotton balls with drops of the same EO.
hii! what effect does storing the eo soap in boxes have? i live in florida and i’m not sure insulating heat will have a negative impact

hii! what effect does storing the eo soap in boxes have? i live in florida and i’m not sure insulating heat will have a negative impact
I believe the main reason for storing in cardboard boxes is not to insulate, but to keep dust away. EOs tend to fade so my hope is that EO on cottonballs can help prevent that.

I believe the main reason for storing in cardboard boxes is not to insulate, but to keep dust away. EOs tend to fade so my hope is that EO on cottonballs can help prevent that.
that’s pretty smart! i’ve been making unscented soaps to nail my foundation. used lavender and camphor and it’s such a light subtle effect. seems like nothing there. later i found out, oils just fade. will try this out. thanks!

Don't know how you can get Lavender 40/42 to last two years.... my batch made in May was rapidly losing it's scent.
Try adding some Rosemary EO- not a lot though: ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 Rosemary to Lavender 40/42

I just recently checked some year old bars.

My black pepper, elemi and neroli sticks.

Others need to second this to get them on the list lol

Edit:
Does anyone notice some EOs stick in "regular" soaps but not in salt bars or soleseifes?

Last edited:
Patchouli and Palmarosa still lasting after one year ( possible acceleration with Palmarosa)
Spearmint and Rosemary blend lasting after 11 months
Litsea lasting after 11 months (no acceleration)
Lemongrass not too bad but not as good as Litsea
Anise going strong in a blend with lavender after 6 months
Ylang Ylang and Lavender faded, as have all citrus
Could you please share the ratio of Spearmint and Rosemary blend? Last time I made a blend of Eucalyptus and Spearmint - 1:2. Though the smell was wonderful, it created a little burning sensation on my skin.

Latest posts

Back