Longest lasting EOs

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
While looking for info on benzoin, I found a post that groups EOs based on tendency to accelerate in cp soap. I’m thinking about creating a reference table that includes the longevity info, acceleration behavior and scent notes. Will share if I do.

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just recently opened up a box of stored ZNSC (slight recipe mod) from late December 2019 that I made using an eo blend of 65% lavandin 25% patchouli and 10% litsea. The soap also contained 2% orange wax. Much to my delight, the lavandin’s lavender note is still there. Almost two years of curing did not create a miracle lather, but the soap smells great.

maryloucb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was good to revisit this thread again. I use EOs exclusively. I store cured soaps in cardboard boxes. I add in cotton balls with drops of the same EO.
That's a good idea, @Zing Do you punch any holes in your boxes? I store my cured soaps in cardboard boxes too.

Zing

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good idea, @Zing Do you punch any holes in your boxes? I store my cured soaps in cardboard boxes too.
Yes, I cut holes in the sides and top of shoe boxes. I recently had a bad experience with DOS so after finding advice here, I now line the bottom with a paper towel and toss in NEW (not used) silica gel packs.

maryloucb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I cut holes in the sides and top of shoe boxes. I recently had a bad experience with DOS so after finding advice here, I now line the bottom with a paper towel and toss in NEW (not used) silica gel packs.
I don't have holes in my boxes, but am thinking I might punch some. I live in a VERY dry climate (Colorado @9000ft) so the humidity is always very low. I use parchment paper at the bottom of the boxes.

Mobjack Bay

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@maryloucb I’m curious about the bergamot since some have found that it fades fast. Was it in a blend? Maybe @Zing can chime in too since he is another bergamot fan. I would love to use it but worry about the fading.

I store my eo soaps in cardboard trading card boxes that don’t have air holes. I move them into the boxes when they’re 6-8 weeks into the cure and haven’t had any issues with DOS to date. I live in a humid region and along a coast, but the AC helps to keep the humidity down in the house during the summer. One batch of stored soap is almost 2 years old, but most are in the range of 6-12 months old.

maryloucb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@maryloucb I’m curious about the bergamot since some have found that it fades fast. Was it in a blend? Maybe @Zing can chime in too since he is another bergamot fan. I would love to use it but worry about the fading.
I do use bergamot in a couple of blends—one is with bay rum (or clove-whichever I have,) lime, litsea and orange. The other is with cedarwood

N4YNOVA

Reaction score
It was good to revisit this thread again. I use EOs exclusively. I store cured soaps in cardboard boxes. I add in cotton balls with drops of the same EO.
hii! what effect does storing the eo soap in boxes have? i live in florida and i’m not sure insulating heat will have a negative impact

Zing

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
hii! what effect does storing the eo soap in boxes have? i live in florida and i’m not sure insulating heat will have a negative impact
I believe the main reason for storing in cardboard boxes is not to insulate, but to keep dust away. EOs tend to fade so my hope is that EO on cottonballs can help prevent that.

N4YNOVA

Reaction score
I believe the main reason for storing in cardboard boxes is not to insulate, but to keep dust away. EOs tend to fade so my hope is that EO on cottonballs can help prevent that.
that’s pretty smart! i’ve been making unscented soaps to nail my foundation. used lavender and camphor and it’s such a light subtle effect. seems like nothing there. later i found out, oils just fade. will try this out. thanks!

Daisy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know how you can get Lavender 40/42 to last two years.... my batch made in May was rapidly losing it's scent.
Try adding some Rosemary EO- not a lot though: ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 Rosemary to Lavender 40/42

Dawni

Reaction score
I just recently checked some year old bars.

My black pepper, elemi and neroli sticks.

Others need to second this to get them on the list lol

Edit:
Does anyone notice some EOs stick in "regular" soaps but not in salt bars or soleseifes?

Last edited:

alex777

Reaction score
No tricks are needed with the following, and the Volant ES that stick are:

Lime EO
Bergamot EO
Vetiver EO
Lemongrass EO

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use EOs, have any of the following lasted 6 months or longer for you? TIA
To fill a few gaps in this list, I've added peru balsam, ginger, and combava (kaffir lime leaf) into this FA profile survey, that also evolved into a single-EO project:

Anyone, feel free to remind me in 6+ months to review how they're going! ;)

Latest posts