Long time soapmaker says hi!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NerysNaturals

Reaction score
Hi fellow soapmakers!
On and off for over 15 years I've been making cold process soap in my kitchen. I live in the Netherlands and back then when I started making soap we had a pretty active local soapmaking forum I participated on. Unfortunately this forum died out, so I started looking for a new place to share and learn.
My soap making journey started out as a search for a shower product that wouldn't affect the psoriasis I have. It ended up being almost an obsession and a fruitfull creative outlet :) . There were times I wouldn't make a soap in months, there were times I would make 3 soaps in 1 day. But it was and still is always fun and exciting to see what would come out of the mold.
When I moved houses last summer I found a box of soaps that I had put up in the attic to cure. I must have forgotten about this box, because it was labeled "Chamomille Castile July 2010". It turns out over 12 year old cold process soap is one of the finest soaps I ever used.

Besides making soap I also like to make herbal skin care products such as salves, creams and oils. Last year I started studying to become a herbalist. This inspired me to start making soaps using herbal colorants and herbal infusions and maybe become a profesional soap and cosmetics maker.

I hope to connect with other soap makers to learn from eachother and get inspired!

Welcome.gif

Hi! and welcome! Drachten... such a pretty city. I remember my father telling me about visits with his grandparents who lived there.
Thank you! Well, actually, me and my partner think Drachten lacks a bit of an identity. We used to live in Harlingen, which is a lot more pleasing to the eyes, with a lot of monumental buildings, the Waddensea and a 800+ year history. Compared to that Drachten really is pretty boring haha.
From this area quite a lot of people immigrated to Canada after WWII, as did some of my mothers uncles. So I always think it is nice to "meet"Frisian descendents!

Thank you! Well, actually, me and my partner think Drachten lacks a bit of an identity. We used to live in Harlingen, which is a lot more pleasing to the eyes, with a lot of monumental buildings, the Waddensea and a 800+ year history. Compared to that Drachten really is pretty boring haha.
From this area quite a lot of people immigrated to Canada after WWII, as did some of my mothers uncles. So I always think it is nice to "meet"Frisian descendents!
I can understand what you mean. Harlingen seemed to be more of a "happening" town. Friesland reminds me a lot of the Fraser Valley here in BC.

Back