Long time listener, first time caller

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giner

Reaction score
Hi. I've lurked here for nearly a year but only posted once and figured it's time to actually become active.

I live in Ohio, USA, and first tried soapmaking in early 2020, when I figured the lockdowns and big emphasis on hand washing made it a good time to try the hobby I've been considering trying for years.

It's been more challenging than I'd expected, honestly. I almost gave up recently after a string of failed batches. But here I am, keeping on keeping on.

So the thing I have to remind myself, because I started last July, is that there is no failed batch. Maybe an idea didn't pan out but I still get soap at the end of things. Every batch IS a learning opportunity though. So if you can look at a batch that didn't come out as you anticipated... can you figure out what went awry?

For example:
I wanted to make a soap inspired by the comic character John Constantine. I wanted it leather scented. I wanted it to be vertically divided with a small red drop in the center of a white middle and flanked by two beige/yellow walls. I GOT the colors I wanted. I got the division I wanted. My batter accelerated FAST so I didn't get the red drop. I got a red... smoosh.

I've looked at it and the culprit was my fragrance. Turns out virtually every leather fragrance out there is going to accelerate things. Since that was my first accelerated soap, I didn't realise just HOW much it might accelerate. WOOPS! I can also confidently say I overblended at the start and I shouldn't have blended in the fragrance and colorant. I should have mixed those by hand. That would have helped things a lot more.

I renamed it from Constantine to "Bow Ties are Cool" since the color palette matches, more or less, the common outfit worn by the Dr Who actor Matt Smith when he played the titular character. It worked out.

Welcome! I'm pretty new myself and I know it can be hard when you think you know what you need to do to achieve your idea, but it doesn't go to plan.

Something I learned during my years selling my glass beads is that as long as it's technically safe (no cracks or sharp bits etc), someone will love it.

At markets I put all my uglies - failed practise beads, wierd colour combos, demo beads with 3 different techniques etc into a little basket and sell them by the mini bag full. Even the fugliest of fuglies sold, usually to a beaming little kid with a puzzled parent behind them thinking "well ok if you like it, but darn my kid has no taste."

Last edited:
Welcome. There is a group of soap makers in Ohio that used to gather together for an annual soapmaker get together. I don't think the group meets regularly anymore, I am sad to say, but I attended a couple of times in the 2016-2018 timeframe. It was loads of fun.

SMF is a great group of international soap makers, candle makers, some of whom also make bath & body products, This a very nice place to participate and you'll find a lot of support here.

Welcome.gif

Latest posts

Back