long term storage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One question, please: If I'm storing long-term, after a full cure, to keep the aroma, could cover them with a thin film (spray) of carnauba wax?

Thank you for moving this question to a separate thread.
Anyway, I think it is not a question that no one has done or is stupid :)
But I think in the fruit markets using this wax and is used to keep moisture. If storage soaps long, you could create a barrier easy to remove before using or selling and also think the scent longer be maintained.
Am I mistaken a lot?

I think if you put some sort of wax on your soap, you would be increasing the likelihood of DOS by retaining moisture under the wax. I would leave the soap open to air for all storage.

I wonder if the wax would be difficult to wash off when you first use the bar. If you know it is there and are prepared for it ... that might be fine. But if someone did not know, they might be puzzled why the soap does not lather well. I have not tried this on soap, but I am thinking about my experience with vegetables that have a sprayed coating of wax.

I use shrink film to package my soaps after a 4-8 week cure. It does help to preserve the scent. Shrink film is more impervious to water vapor than wax is, but I have not had unusual problems with DOS forming on these soaps after long storage. I do watch for it, and I can appreciate why that is a concern!

Back