Long term storage for soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I've read several accounts of soapers finding and using old bars and enjoying them more after really long cures. I'm going to store a bar from each batch to try later on- is a cardboard box fine, or is there a special way you'd store these?

Cardboard is fine. After they've passed their 6-week cure and are no longer sticky, you may want to consider wrapping them lightly - maybe in a paper towel or even a sheet of computer paper - and put one or two in each of your clothing drawers so you can enjoy the scent.

My friend'd grandma would do that with soap I gifted her - it stayed in the drawer for a year or more until the scent was faded, then she used it.

Cardboard is fine. After they've passed their 6-week cure and are no longer sticky, you may want to consider wrapping them lightly - maybe in a paper towel or even a sheet of computer paper - and put one or two in each of your clothing drawers so you can enjoy the scent.

My friend'd grandma would do that with soap I gifted her - it stayed in the drawer for a year or more until the scent was faded, then she used it.
What a great idea! I'll do that and then I can label the paper with the date made, recipe number and when I want to try it. Thanks!

I use small boxes from the dollar store. They are a$1.25 each and they hold around 20 bars, depending on the size of your soap.

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum--though not to soap making. :)
For my trial soaps (testing FOs/EOs for discoloration, scent longevity, etc.) that I store for a year or more, I put them in the equivalent of pizza boxes. That way I can write their identifying info by each bar and store the boxes several layers/boxes deep on a shelf in my store room. (I use cavity molds for my trials so each "bar" has its own FO/EO.) Every month or so, I pull them out, inspect them, make notes, and back they go onto the shelf.
For my pretty soaps (in which I want the scent to last as long as possible and that I use as gifts), I put the soaps in 3" x 5" cello bags from Paper Mart, stick a label on them, and put them in a cardboard box. I either put a Post-It on the box that tells what the content is, or just write on the box with a Sharpie.

Is it ok to store wrapped and labelled soaps in cardboard boxes?
Of course it is acceptable to store your cured soap in cardboard boxes. I would however let the soap cure for a minimum of six weeks prior to wrapping and storing away. By that time, the soap will have lost about 90% of the water weight and shrinkage will be a minimal issue, if at all.
In addition, you get the added benefit of the continuing development of the soap crystal structure within the bars of soap which improves the longevity and lathering ability.

Of course it is acceptable to store your cured soap in cardboard boxes. I would however let the soap cure for a minimum of six weeks prior to wrapping and storing away. By that time, the soap will have lost about 90% of the water weight and shrinkage will be a minimal issue, if at all.
In addition, you get the added benefit of the continuing development of the soap crystal structure within the bars of soap which improves the longevity and lathering ability.
I guess I don't have that experience. I cure for 6 weeks and still if wrapped soap sits for a couple months there is shrinkage. I use 33% lye concentration.

I have a guinea pig & buy 10lb boxes of hay for him, then store my soap in the emptied & dusted out boxes. They're very sturdy & I use those uncoated paper treat bags w/ sticker labels for wrapping... for now. If I start selling I'll probably do something different. (And fyi half my family is allergic to the hay but there have been 0 problems using soap from hay boxes.) I've been soaping for less than 2yrs (I think?) but so far so good. 🤞

Latest posts

Back