Quantcast

Long term storage for soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I've read several accounts of soapers finding and using old bars and enjoying them more after really long cures. I'm going to store a bar from each batch to try later on- is a cardboard box fine, or is there a special way you'd store these?

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Cardboard is fine. After they've passed their 6-week cure and are no longer sticky, you may want to consider wrapping them lightly - maybe in a paper towel or even a sheet of computer paper - and put one or two in each of your clothing drawers so you can enjoy the scent.

My friend'd grandma would do that with soap I gifted her - it stayed in the drawer for a year or more until the scent was faded, then she used it.

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
Cardboard is fine. After they've passed their 6-week cure and are no longer sticky, you may want to consider wrapping them lightly - maybe in a paper towel or even a sheet of computer paper - and put one or two in each of your clothing drawers so you can enjoy the scent.

My friend'd grandma would do that with soap I gifted her - it stayed in the drawer for a year or more until the scent was faded, then she used it.
What a great idea! I'll do that and then I can label the paper with the date made, recipe number and when I want to try it. Thanks!

Zing

Reaction score
I keep cured soap in shoe boxes punched with a few holes. I throw in a couple of silica packets.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I also use shoe boxes for cured soaps. They are sturdy, can each hold a lot of soap, and are free.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I use small boxes from the dollar store. They are a$1.25 each and they hold around 20 bars, depending on the size of your soap.

lucycat

Reaction score
I like baseball card boxes. A box can hold all bars from the log and they stack easily in a small space.

Eleanor Thorne

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm new to the forum--though not to soap making. :)
For my trial soaps (testing FOs/EOs for discoloration, scent longevity, etc.) that I store for a year or more, I put them in the equivalent of pizza boxes. That way I can write their identifying info by each bar and store the boxes several layers/boxes deep on a shelf in my store room. (I use cavity molds for my trials so each "bar" has its own FO/EO.) Every month or so, I pull them out, inspect them, make notes, and back they go onto the shelf.
For my pretty soaps (in which I want the scent to last as long as possible and that I use as gifts), I put the soaps in 3" x 5" cello bags from Paper Mart, stick a label on them, and put them in a cardboard box. I either put a Post-It on the box that tells what the content is, or just write on the box with a Sharpie.

Latest posts