Long rant on trying to be SuperWoman

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodi

Reaction score
I have been agonizing over the soapmaking class I promised this Saturday to a stranger who was to come to my home.

I'm not really ready for her. My house has been under construction for
3+ weeks, even the computers and my soap files got moved and packed away. During it all, I've been quite sick with a bad cold and flu. So I haven't had time to clean and organize the soaproom, let alone think about class notes.

But I was rushing around like a chicken with no head all day yesterday, trying to get ready, to find what I need, to locate my old class notes in the now operating computer...etc....... I had reserved today for the final cleanup and soaproom org. I so want to offer this person a good class experience.

BUT: my eye doc called at 4PM yesterday, reminding me that my yearly appointment was this morning at 9AM. I need it - he's hard to book, so off I go this morning, speeding to town; while there I decide I should get a visit in to the gym I just paid a membership to....(am I nuts? or suicidal?)...and return home only at 12:30 today.

Had lunch and was exhausted, so fell asleep on couch for an hour! DH let me sleep cuz I'm a nighttime insomniac. and still coughing a bit, while he continues to paint the hall (a last-minute decision on his part).

Finally at 2:30PM I wake up and head down to the soaproom to tackle it...only to find that I have not enough lard for the recipe I was going to use with her!!! Is this the last straw?
or Should I run back to town ( half hour drive each way?) and buy some at the grocery store?..... (maybe I AM a headless chicken....)

DH urges me to phone the student and postpone the class. I am afraid to. She sounds like a very assertive (almost pushy) broad....the kind I do not deal well with. So I keep flurrying around, intent on making it work. Besides, I want the $75 she promised to pay.

Until I realize: I'm not going to make it .....unless I stay up until midnight, and know I won't sleep well. I start to feel sick.

SO I reluctantly make the call at 4:30PM. She phones back within a half hour, as nice as can be, and is willing to postpone for a few weeks. Hallelujah! I didn't think it would be that easy.

Now I can breathe and get ready at a slower pace. ( I think I was literally holding my breath for the last 2 hours, while vaccuming, washing floors etc...). A big sigh escapes me. Ah, so good to breathe again!

What I learned:
it's ok to say 'no'; it's ok to postpone people, especially when I'm feeling sickly (recovering from a flu and bad cold). People can be understanding and kind. Life goes on.

Know the feeling of trying to be SuperPerson?

lol all to well!! Im going a million miles a minute and right there with you on the insomniac thing lol

Thats good that you postponed that though babe... sounds like you just need to wait til it settles a bit over there before you can really sink in to your duty as superwomansoapteacher lol

I know I dont do well amidst chaotic stress like that-- and to not have enough lard for the recipe!! I think that was the worlds way of telling you to sit and contemplate amidst the cedars ;)

-Om- ;)

Thanks, Ian...your reply made me smile. I sat in our new infra-red sauna for a half hour, reading a yoga book I love (for the second time in 2 years). Anyone into yoga should love this book, called: The Wisdom of Yoga, by Stephen Cope (teacher-in-residence at Kripalu).

I like that he includes real life stories of a group of 5 friends and himself, interspersed with a lot of yoga philosophy. It shows how yoga works in their lives. It's a very entertaining read.

Di love your blog what beautiful photos you have......Can totally relate at the moment........I have had flu that has really knocked me off my feet.....being one who never naps of the day I have just spent four days in bed just getting out periodically to do what has to be done and a peak at my fav soaping sites online :)
What amazes me is just how much we do for everyone............My house looks like a bomb hit it, its all that constant general tidying that the hubby/kids just don't do!!!!!!!.
Glad you could postpone and hope you are feeling much much better

Woodi said:
Thanks, Ian...your reply made me smile. I sat in our new infra-red sauna for a half hour, reading a yoga book I love (for the second time in 2 years). Anyone into yoga should love this book, called: The Wisdom of Yoga, by Stephen Cope (teacher-in-residence at Kripalu).

I like that he includes real life stories of a group of 5 friends and himself, interspersed with a lot of yoga philosophy. It shows how yoga works in their lives. It's a very entertaining read.

:) thats my goal in life ... spread love and positive vibrations across the nations :)

That book has now been added to my cue! I have like 5-6 to get through first....

have you ever heard of Rosicrucianism? Im reading a book called "the wisdom of the mystic masters" by J. J. Weed...pretty cool stuff :)

oooooo Infrared sauna...yeah I dont think I could live where you do without a sauna/steamroom combo.... only problem would be getting me out of it lol

I can SO relate. I've decided to dial back on work next week for the same reason (I work freelance so I can do that). House under construction, way too much laundry etc. that needs to be done. And I will be alone with the baby. So I will focus on housework and soaping. YEY!!!! That will make me feel less guilty about the state of the house and give me more energy for what needs to be done.

Oh my hand is up too!!
I was so sick over Christmas I spent a whole week on the couch, I just couldn't do anything. House looked like an absolute brothel, it was so bad.
I keep threatening to go on strike, but then I know what I have to deal with when the strike is over.
And Dianne, it's ok to say no every now and again. :D

ChrissyB said:
Oh my hand is up too!!
I was so sick over Christmas I spent a whole week on the couch, I just couldn't do anything. House looked like an absolute brothel, it was so bad.
I keep threatening to go on strike, but then I know what I have to deal with when the strike is over.
And Dianne, it's ok to say no every now and again. :D

speaking of brothels... lol I actually grew up in (no it wasnt one at the time) a house that was a speakeasy in the 1920s... I have pics of it when it operated as a full service speakeasy establishment... that house has given me the heebie jeebies since I knew how to walk... glad we moved out of it when I was like 12, cant tell you how many bumps in the night, and all that freaky stuff and actual sitings we have had in that home... I still cant even walk on the street without getting goosebumps...

to top it off... the basement was a dirt floor, and there were secret passages for hiding liquor and lord knows what else. needless to say, I never had to try very hard to ignore the childish propensity to dig in dirt... I always though Id dig up a body or something down there... freaked the hell out of me... lol

IanT said:
speaking of brothels... lol I actually grew up in (no it wasnt one at the time) a house that was a speakeasy in the 1920s... I have pics of it when it operated as a full service speakeasy establishment... that house has given me the heebie jeebies since I knew how to walk... glad we moved out of it when I was like 12, cant tell you how many bumps in the night, and all that freaky stuff and actual sitings we have had in that home... I still cant even walk on the street without getting goosebumps...

to top it off... the basement was a dirt floor, and there were secret passages for hiding liquor and lord knows what else. needless to say, I never had to try very hard to ignore the childish propensity to dig in dirt... I always though Id dig up a body or something down there... freaked the hell out of me... lol

I would have loved to live in a house like that growing up, I still would. I'm planning a trip to Japan in November and one of the Ryokan's I want to stay at was once a geisha house :D I was also gitty to go to Victoria (BC) for a couple of days in the winter and I went for a walk in a park full of tombstones. Twas fun and I have lots of pictures.

Overthemoon said:
IanT said:

I would have loved to live in a house like that growing up, I still would. I'm planning a trip to Japan in November and one of the Ryokan's I want to stay at was once a geisha house :D I was also gitty to go to Victoria (BC) for a couple of days in the winter and I went for a walk in a park full of tombstones. Twas fun and I have lots of pictures.

lol trust me.... I think youd take it back after like a week there... twas a real negative energy about the place... like people (lots) had been killed there over the years as a speakeasy... hence my fear of diggin in the dirt in the basement ;)

all-in-all it was really beautiful... but the energy... wooooooooaaaaah

IanT said:
Overthemoon said:
IanT said:

lol trust me.... I think youd take it back after like a week there... twas a real negative energy about the place... like people (lots) had been killed there over the years as a speakeasy... hence my fear of diggin in the dirt in the basement ;)

all-in-all it was really beautiful... but the energy... wooooooooaaaaah

Maybe, all I know is death and such fascinates, has since I was a kid and not in a "I'm going to go out and be a serial killer way." Most Evil Men and Women of History is my favorite series. Spent a whole day in a dungeon in Switzerland years ago, now that I wouldn't want to have in my basement but I loved being in it. History, I love it.

Lots of interesting stories in this thread, I'm glad I brought it up....and nice to hear from other women trying to be SuperWoman.....nice to have company, but ...recipe for trouble hey?

Ian that place sounds spooky, and unlike Overthemoon, a place I would avoid like the plague.

I seek only positive vibrations, places that beam with light. Let the demons have the dark places.

Back