LONG!!!! My first soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyMorrgian

Reaction score
Hello,

I have spent the past month or so reading page after page of this lovely forum. So much information to soap up. (you know what, I meant to type soak, and that's what it was auto-corrected to...imma gonna leave it.)

This will be quite long, because I tend to ramble, but hopefully it will amuse you. I decided to make the big leap and make my first soap today. That's a big enough step, but you see, I am an over achiever. I don't want to make just ANY soap. I want to make cupcake soaps, with a green base, pink top and scented with Watermelon. Yes, if you are wondering, I am nuts. I have an obsession with watermelon. I have had a piece of watermelon on my birthday every year. I have a 30 year streak going. I decided I was going to finally learn make soap to celebrate my 30th birthday this year. It goes hand in hand. I miss my mom and my great-grandmother a lot and guess this is my way of connecting to them.

Before anyone gets too upset with me for biting off more than I can chew. I have experience with working with dangerous items and know how to take proper safety steps. The recipe I used was not terribly costly and I do have an official C.P. Beginner Class that I will be attending on Sunday.

Anyway, back to the soap.

I used a recipe that Royalty Soaps had posted and every thing went smooth as could be. my pour was a bit thick. I used the SB one burst to many. Its okay though, cause I can glop it into the base well enough and handy dandy scraper can smooth it out.

What do I learn?
You can always blend more, but you can't take it back.

Okay, so I smack and wiggle it down a bit and set it off to the side.

Alright time to clean everything up and get ready for part 2.

Same recipe, decide I am going to soap at a lower temp to give my self some elbow room cause hey! I'm new here.

Well, here is my "first mistake" and its a easily prevented one. I will not make it again that's for sure. I am on my 3rd oil, all going into the same pot and guess what? 7.5 becomes an 8.35...welp, cant take it out. hmmm. Well lets be smart and take all the extra measurement that you over poured by what ever and go re-plug them back into the SM3 and see what it has to say? Yup, looks like you need more lye and water. Pat-self on back. Smart cookie.

Every thing else is going nice and smooth and I am currently waiting on the soap to set up enough to pipe.

What did I learn?
Measure and then add to the main pot. At least until you have more practice.

Lower temp is no joke, its been about 30 min or so since I made the frosting part and its just now heading to the stage that it needs to be to pipe.

I am really happy you guys. I know it sounds silly and it sounds crazy...but the entire time I have been working on these cupcakes, its been like I have been having a conversation with my Nanny and my mom.

"seriously? I raised you better, put the @#$& gloves on. Don't be stupid"
"I don't wanna....yes ma'am"
*puts gloves on*

"you think that's right?"
"only one way to find out huh?"

ect. ect.

I dunno, I guess I really just felt them in my heart. Which was nice since I have really really been missing them more than "normal" this year as I have been planning my wedding.

Any way, if your still here and read it all. Thanks.

Watermelon Base.jpg

Soapy Watermelon Cupcakes.jpg

Congratulations on taking on such an ambitious first soap. Mine was an unscented castile.

Very impressive first soap. Actually, very impressive 100th soap. You are definitely an over achiever, and it worked well for you.

I think it's so sweet that you felt connected to your mom and grandmother while you were doing this. Soap making is wonderful in so many, often unexpected, ways.

I have to admit that I thought you were crazy making cupcake soaps so early in your soaping career - I've been soaping for years and don't think I could do that. Those are really pretty and something to be proud of and I am totally impressed!!

Your soap came out lovely! :thumbup:

Far be it from me to ever be an enabler or anything like that :angel: , but if you ever wake up one day like me with a bee in your bonnet, wishing that there was a way to make your 'seeds' look like real watermelon seeds, here's a great mold that will help you do it: https://www.vanyulay.com/product/silicone-molds/watermelon-seed-embeds-40-cavity-silicone-mold-761/

I have 2 of them myself (one food-grade and one candle/soap-grade) and they are awesome.

IrishLass :)

@irishlass

Oh my goodness. Thank you so very much for the link. I see myself getting in trouble there :)

@seawolfe

Oh wow. Thank you so much for the compliment. Like I said, I have worked with dangerous chemicals before and I did watch my great grandmother make soap when I was a little girl. The process was not altogether new to me. I already know there's a lot of room for improvement. And I can't wait to work on it.

It looks fantastic! You did a great job, piping soap isn't easy.

Did you happen to get the Royalty Soaps piping set and recipes for that?

Yes and no.

I did order the set. It will be here in Tuesday.

This recipe came from the one on her most recent "Green Apples Cupcakes" video.

I have read many posts where people used their normal recipe to also pipe. Figured I would give it a shot.

Yes and no.

I did order the set. It will be here in Tuesday.

This recipe came from the one on her most recent "Green Apples Cupcakes" video.

I have read many posts where people used their normal recipe to also pipe. Figured I would give it a shot.

Thats what I do! I'm constantly curious about whether or not its worth it to grab her set or not at that high price point

Thats what I do! I'm constantly curious about whether or not its worth it to grab her set or not at that high price point

I don`t know if it helps any, but I bought a suuuper cheap piping set (didn`t cost me more than $3) and I made these piped cupcakes with my regular recipe. I originally posted them on my soap instagram account, so had to go there and download them since I didn`t have them on my computer, lol : P

I personally don`t really think it is neccesary to get something as expensive as that set that it was referred to, at least not to just test out the tecnique in the beginning. But that is just my opinion : )

I am sure it is good quality, but unless someone is selling or making a LOT of piped cupcakes, I would absoluely think it is more than adequate to get something less expensive as a start, at least to see if this is something that you want to pursue. If not, at least you aren`t stuck with something you shelled out a lot of $$ for : )

As long as the tips are stainless steel or plastic that can take the caustic batter, cheap will work very well.

Saapemuffins_zps8mff7oj8.jpg

It looks fantastic! You did a great job, piping soap isn't easy.
Did you happen to get the Royalty Soaps piping set and recipes for that?
It looks fantastic!

I will message you with my thoughts on it if you like. I personally love her videos and want to support what she is doing. Plus she's a Texas girl like me. :)

I do think the colors and the glitter and mixing containers are where the bulk of the cost comes into play.

@MySoapyHeart

You make some REALLY good points. I made the above cupcakes with a cheap set I got off of Amazon. It's works just fine.

I decided to go ahead and get the Royalty Set simply because Katie is a BIG time inspiration to me and I wanted to support her. That was the beginning and the end of my decision. Also, any sales of the set she makes in the next few months is going towards the midwife bill for her first kid and hey. I can get behind that for all the hours of amusement she has post for me to enjoy.

Latest posts

Back