Long/bad weekend

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret

Reaction score
Friday - Jon's (husband) dispatcher screwed him again. He left here at 3:30 am to go to Wisconsin. I called him at 7pm, and he was still in Wisconsin, about 60 miles from Canada. He didn't get home again till 3:30 am Saturday.

Saturday: Mom came to help us unload hay for our horses. John hay guy was supposed to bring us 100 bales at $5/each. He normally charges us $4, but due to the hay crisis, he's charging new customers $8.50 and regulars $5. It gets to be 2:30, and no John. Jon calls. Apparently he's sick as a dog and is looking for someone to help him load it. He had gotten injured some years ago with a PTO accident and lost a leg. Otherwise, he probably would have done it himself, sick or not. So he said he'd call Sunday morning. Mom leaves, all in a fuss because she needs to get home and get ready for her boyfriend John to come over. Yes, too many John/Jons. He wasn't coming till like 9 pm, but whatever. Since I had some time, I made my new soap in my new soap mold. It's nice! The swirls turned out ok, at least the colors stayed separate. Pics coming later.

Sunday: Wait around. Jon finally calls John and he tells us he can't do anything because his help went to Lafayette to see his girlfriend and isn't coming back till Monday or Tuesday. So if we want to come get some in our trailer, and he'll bring the rest, that's fine. And says the road to his place is fine. Ok. So we hook up and go. As soon as we turned down his road, we should have stopped. His road is a typical back country road, about a mile long, gravel and hilly. And of course, he lives at the very end. And of course, it's got about an inch of ice on it. We almost didn't make it up the last hill.

John has an Australian Shepard, can't remember her name. Well now he's got two. The new one looks 4-6 months old and is just the sweetest thing. We find John, tell him we're only taking 20 bales due to the roads, and he tells us to load up, no problem he'll bring the other 80 this week. Jon mentions that he likes his new dog, and he asks us if we want a good dog, her name is Rodeo. I was a second away from asking if she was housebroke when Jon says not now, we're a Rottweiler household. Whatever, he even said she's cute :) I've mentioned it a few times now, but I doubt it will happen.

So we load up and leave. By now, you guys know something went wrong, right? Yeah. We were almost to the end of the road, truck/trailer had been doing ok. Till the last hill. Which isn't very big, but must have had more ice on it. We were struggling, inches away from the top, when we stop moving, then start rolling backwards. Jon says hang on, we're in deep sh*t. I even looked to make sure he had his foot on the brake. It was buried to the floor, not making any difference. He manages to keep it in a straight line down the hill, but the trailer must have hit a pot hole (many on that road) or something and veered off the road. Down a hill towards some brush. Luckily my darling husband is a truck driver and has some experience. He managed to turn the truck so we didn't completely jackknife. The only thing that stopped the truck from going off with it was a tree that the trailer is lodged against. He had me get out and stand at the top of the hill in case someone else came down the road. Not likely out there. Somehow he managed to get the trailer unhooked. We go to the end of the road and call John. He comes with his big ole King Series diesel truck, and says no way can get it out at that angle. He was sliding on the road, and said he even has new tires, didn't know it was that bad and amazed we made it as far as we did. So now my trailer with 20 bales of hay are stuck on the side of a damned gravel road that no one apparently salts/sands etc. John is going to try today with his tractor. Thankfully nothing happened to us our our truck. Well, Jon did slip and fall on the ice 3x, has a huge knot on the side of his head and jarred his back. But he's ok.

As of right now, I have 3 1/2 bales of hay left. That'll take me to Thursday night. Hopefully we get some sort of break in the cold and that road melts a bit and we can get our load of hay this week/weekend. I can get some hay from our local feed store, but I'm going to pay $$$ for it.

Talk about scary though. I thought for sure the tree was going to give and take us down that hill with the trailer.

Man, I'm sorry to hear about you run of bad luck! :( We are under ice warnings since early yesterday morning and continue until Wednesday morning. MO has been hit hard again. It has been hard to get to my TOG Shop from the house! I hate ice!!! :x
I hope you love your new molds and everything turns out beautifully! We would love to see pictures, please! Thanks so much Bret! Wishing you and yours better luck! :wink: 8)

Paul.... :0 :wink:

OH MY GAWD! I would have been scared shitless! Why did he tell you it was going to be ok! I am glad you both are safe, and what is the reason why they dont lay down salt or sand on that road? what if there was an emergency.. no one could get out!

Since he's been sick, I don't think he really knew. I wish he had checked it out though. That's what I want to know... why NO salt or sand? I told my husband that if we lived anywhere on that road, we'd have a 4-wheeler or something with a salt spreader on the back. Just. Not. Safe. All the houses have mailboxes, no clue how the mailman gets down there. Let alone a fire truck/ambulance. There'd be absolutely no way without snow chains.

Update: Talked to hay guy last night. He got his truck stuck. Got his tractor down there to pull the truck out, slipped on the ice and fell. Got his truck out and back to his house. Waited for his kids, went down there again. Can't get enough traction to pull the trailer out. He said he will replace the hay in there (he's got cows, so no big deal). I guess he's pissed at the condition of the road and has contacted an attorney. The county claims it's a private road. But when he built his house, he had to get a special permit to attach the drive to the COUNTY road. He's contacted other people on that road and they'll be in on it too. And we might too considering we have damage on the trailer. He's supposed to take a cow to two to slaughter and said there's no way he's going to risk it. He's worried that he won't make it up the same hill and will end up crashing into our trailer.

Latest posts

Back