Logbook

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamansavon

Reaction score
Those of you who keep a logbook, which one do you like?
I'm just a hobby soaper...I wondered about Jan Berry's but it wouldn't be possible to ship it to the UK. I know there's also a download version but I prefer something that feels more special ☺️

Those of you who keep a logbook, which one do you like?

I don't have a fancy 'logbook'. When I started out, before I actually made my first batch, I bought a regular notebook and started making notes and writing down recipes and websites of suppliers, etc. Once I started making soap, I printed out the recipe, made notes on that and put in a binder, but I continued to use my notebook. I'm starting my third year of soap making...it's gone from hobby to business so I use SoapMaker3, but I still print out my recipe and put in a binder, and still use my notebook because it's a continuing learning process.

Most of my recipes are logged in SoapmakingFriend. I'm on a Mac, so Soapmaker3 won't work as an inventory program for me unless I switch my Mac into PC mode using VMWare Fusion. It's clunky to switch modes, and much easier to use a free online inventory program like SoapInventory.com. I'm starting to enter my inventory into that program now in preparation for selling. Hopefully it doesn't disappear or end up requiring a big subscription payment at some point.

I use SM3 for storing recipes and playing around with numbers. When I'm definitely going to make something it gets printed out and goes into a small flat binder with any written notes about the process, pictures etc.
Soaps that have cured get their page moved from the small binder into a lever arch file to become part of the historical record ;)

I'm with @cmzaha--I've used OneNote from the start. I make up recipes, put them in Soap Calc,
when the recipe is to my liking, I Print to OneNote. I have a tab called "Soap Recipes to Try" and once I make a recipe, I move it to a tab called Soaps Made, which has the date, and I add notes about the colors I used, the mold I used, additives, etc.

Then I can go back in after the soap is cured and make performance notes. :)

I have used a notebook to document every soap I have made from the beginning (save maybe one or two of the very first ones before I realized that what I put into soapcalc did not save). I am on notebook #3 now. It's all in chronological order and includes recipes, notations, experiments, ongoing results, testing, calculations, etc. I put an index in as I go along as needed so I can find what I want.

Besides the notebooks, I also keep copies on my computer of formulas via calculators, using the print option. I have used various calculators since starting soaping, so there are some from different ones. When I started taking photos of my soap, I added a folder on my computer for them. I used made-on dates plus soap names to organize & index the soaps both in my notebooks, computer & photos, making it all fairly easy to find.

I also add a label (via masking tape & permanent marker pen) on each batch of soap, which lives with the soap until labels are placed on the soaps. On the label is the date the soap is made (made-on date) & anything distinctive to differentiate from any batch made on the same date (if I make more than one batch in a day.) Using this method allows me to refer to my notebook and easily find the information that needs to go on my soap labels.

I am a hobbyist and know I will never sell. I run all recipes through Soapmaking Friend and use the back of the sheet for notes about the recipes. They go in a sheet protector so I can add notes at various times if I want...usually notes about scents or lather or shrinkage, sometimes who I have given the soap to and if they have commented on it. My notebook also has notes on shelf life of oils, articles that I want to refer to...even though I could go to the computer to look them up, it is faster for me to refer to my binder. I also have a section called Try Me for recipes or ideas, articles, or sometimes just a reference to a forum topic or a forum challenge that I want to do. In the very back are recipes that I tried and don't like...but I feel I should keep them just in case I ever get an idea and had forgotten that I've already made that soap. And at my age, I really need that part of the notebook! LOL
Now because this forum has led me down the path of syndet shampoo bars, I have another notebook at that too.
My original goal was to come up with 2-4 "go to" recipes that I would use for me and my family. And I sort of have, BUT it is so much fun to tweak them and use a different butter, or slightly different oil or some additive that I hadn't used before. And it might be a great notebook to pass on to my kids, since they are the ones that receive my soap. At least they will know how to make it if they choose to go down that path.

I have a book of every single batch I have ever made with all details and outcomes. I also use SoapMaker 3.
That's amazing! Unfortunately, I made soap for many years based on blog posts and websites, none of which recommended the best soaping practices, including any kind of log. So I'm late to the tracking game, but now I love documenting the recipe, process, and pics in SoapmakingFriend.

All of these suggestions mentioned are wonderful! Now if I could Only motivate myself to get my lazy butt off the sofa and make some soap! It’s been a long winter/spring with my husband recovering from a heart transplant and kidney failure. Thankfully his dialysis is finished and he doesn’t have to go for that any more. He will have to have a kidney transplant down the road in a year or two. We will cross that path when we get to it. Now enough of my rambling on and get organized to make a batch or two tomorrow 🤞🏼
And after reading how everyone logs their recipes etc ……. I will Start a journal as well.
thanks to all for great suggestions and guidance on how to keep a journal from start to finish

Awww @Claudette Carignan, please go easier on yourself! You aren't lazy - just worn out from caregiving and worry and grief. If soaping will make you feel better, then do it. If not, then don't. Taking good care of your mental and physical health is the best thing you can do in order to keep being strong and supportive for your husband. Prayers and hugs sent your way. 🤗🙏

All of these suggestions mentioned are wonderful! Now if I could Only motivate myself to get my lazy butt off the sofa and make some soap! It’s been a long winter/spring with my husband recovering from a heart transplant and kidney failure. Thankfully his dialysis is finished and he doesn’t have to go for that any more. He will have to have a kidney transplant down the road in a year or two. We will cross that path when we get to it. Now enough of my rambling on and get organized to make a batch or two tomorrow 🤞🏼
And after reading how everyone logs their recipes etc ……. I will Start a journal as well.
thanks to all for great suggestions and guidance on how to keep a journal from start to finish
I am with AliOoop, you are not being lazy. The physical and mental strain of caregiving a loved one wears a person out. Soap if you feel like it and do not if you don't. I have not made a batch of soap in two years at least and have no guilt feelings in the least.

Glad to hear your hubby has made it through his first huge hurdle, and that is a big hurdle, of which I cannot even imagine the stress level and worry.

I use One Note for tracking because it is so easy to print to, but of course, it is part of Microsoft Office so now a paid-for subscription.

Back