Log Vs. Bar Curing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
So I was clicking through a bunch of soap shop tour videos and noticed some of the shops when splitting up the big batches they seemed to cure prior to cutting the bars (or so it appeared). Any advantage one way over the other? I had figured the logs would be too hard to cut once set up but have never tried.

The only advantage I can see is it would be easier to move them around, if you had to. As for disadvantages, I know that I could definitely not cut a fully cured log of soap with my Tank. Also, we know that in curing, moisture evaporates from the soap, leaving it harder, which makes it last longer. By leaving it in log form, you're cutting down on evaporation, so that's also a disadvantage.

Are these people maybe selling soap as logs, for resale?

Are these people maybe selling soap as logs, for resale?

Only one mentions it.

Here are the two I was thinking of.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1fpjNV26I[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hcYtJx-LHc[/ame]

On the second view it looks like the Oregon Soap guy says they cure for two weeks and cut into bars but also says the soap is cured 5 weeks and they sell both bar and logs to cut.

Thanks for this post. I was wondering that, too, after watching Dali's video. It would save me a bit of hassle by leavin the log to cure for three weeks then cutting it into bars to cure for the other three weeks. However, would I really gain anything by doing that? Other than making sure the logs are truly ready to cut, since I always seem to cut mine too soon. The soap sticks to the cutter and I have to peel it off.

Thanks for sharing those video's. I think the big advantage to curing as a log, instead of as a bar is space saving.

Latest posts

Back