Lockdown Soaping Shenanigans

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh dear. I didn't have enough lye left to make a batch. All the shops are still closed for the lockdown so I couldn't just nip out and buy some like I usually do. SO I resized my recipe to use the lye the I had.
So I measured out my hard oils and started melting them, and then measured out my soft oils to find that somehow I had measured out about 60g too much. I tried to backtrack in my head to reassure myself that it was correct, but alas, it wasn't. I don't know what I did wrong - I think it was something with the tare that I mucked up.
So - lye mixture made, hard oils melting, soft oils all together in a jug and figured what the hang. I'll just mix it up anyway. Put in a bit of sodium lactate to help it harden. And now we wait - and wait and wait - I wonder how long it will take to harden?
It'll be my extra extra superfat soap!
Smells yummy though! White Tea FO and Lemongrass EO.

whats your secret to having thin batter? I try to soap at 95-105 degrees. I only use 40% hard oils. I don't typically use sodium lactate or salt. But I do add oatmeal and other additive... not sure if that seizes the batter. I also usually add sugar/honey for extra bubbles and that heats things up. I envy your beautiful designs! and colors!

Oh dear. I didn't have enough lye left to make a batch. All the shops are still closed for the lockdown so I couldn't just nip out and buy some like I usually do. SO I resized my recipe to use the lye the I had.
So I measured out my hard oils and started melting them, and then measured out my soft oils to find that somehow I had measured out about 60g too much. I tried to backtrack in my head to reassure myself that it was correct, but alas, it wasn't. I don't know what I did wrong - I think it was something with the tare that I mucked up.
So - lye mixture made, hard oils melting, soft oils all together in a jug and figured what the hang. I'll just mix it up anyway. Put in a bit of sodium lactate to help it harden. And now we wait - and wait and wait - I wonder how long it will take to harden?
It'll be my extra extra superfat soap!
Smells yummy though! White Tea FO and Lemongrass EO.

Like champagne, sometimes mistakes turn out to be gems! Looking forward to hearing about the results!

Latest posts

Back