Lockdown Latherings

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Three new soaps to present to y'all today.
The first is Blue Iris - scented with, you guessed it, Blue Iris
The next one is Seashore - scented with Ocean Breeze
The last is only just cut today - scented with discolouring Alyssum in the bottom layer and Palmarosa, Sweet Orange and Patchouli in the top.
IMG_6290.jpeg
IMG_6298.jpeg
IMG_6304.jpeg

All beautiful as well as your photography skills! I need to get better at that! :)
I got the black background idea from @IrishLass' profile pic. I use a black cloth ( dress in this case) draped over a chair (seat and back). Then position the chair so that it has a full light source facing it ( a window is fine if it's a clear day). Sometimes I take the whole thing outside on the patio to do it. Place your soap on it.

If you have a proper camera then set the f-stop to about 6, the ISO to about 200 (if inside then make it 400) or if it's extra sunny make it 100. It's not recommended to take any photos in full sun though - better to wait til the end of the day. Shutter speed varies depending on the other conditions.

If you use your phone, then just frame up the pic so that only the soap and the black background are visible, then touch the screen on the front piece of soap to focus it. Click.

ETA: Do not stand between your light source and your soap! Stand off to one side so you don't cast a shadow on the photo. And actually - you should be kneeling anyway, not standing - keep to the same height as the product you are photographing unless you are taking pics on the top.

@Todd Ziegler - for the top one I took a leaf out of Ione's book where I read that she uses 40/60 saturated unsaturated fats for her swirls. So I adjusted my usual recipe ( same ingredients pretty much but different ratios) to this:
OO 45%
CO 20%
Soy Wax 15%
RBO 10%
Castor oil 5%
Shea Butter 5%
Lye concentration 28%

However, for the bottom (pink and black) recipe I forgot to use what I cal my 'Ione Swirl' recipe and used my standard one. The FO was very well bevel so I still managed a swirl in that one. I used my usual recipe which is:
20% each: OO, CO, Soy Wax, RBO
10% Shea
5% each: Castor, Avocado oil
Lye concentration 30%

Because of the soy wax I tend to soap about 43-45 degrees celsius.

I got the black background idea from @IrishLass' profile pic. I use a black cloth ( dress in this case) draped over a chair (seat and back). Then position the chair so that it has a full light source facing it ( a window is fine if it's a clear day). Sometimes I take the whole thing outside on the patio to do it. Place your soap on it.

If you have a proper camera then set the f-stop to about 6, the ISO to about 200 (if inside then make it 400) or if it's extra sunny make it 100. It's not recommended to take any photos in full sun though - better to wait til the end of the day. Shutter speed varies depending on the other conditions.

If you use your phone, then just frame up the pic so that only the soap and the black background are visible, then touch the screen on the front piece of soap to focus it. Click.

ETA: Do not stand between your light source and your soap! Stand off to one side so you don't cast a shadow on the photo. And actually - you should be kneeling anyway, not standing - keep to the same height as the product you are photographing unless you are taking pics on the top.

@Todd Ziegler - for the top one I took a leaf out of Ione's book where I read that she uses 40/60 saturated unsaturated fats for her swirls. So I adjusted my usual recipe ( same ingredients pretty much but different ratios) to this:
OO 45%
CO 20%
Soy Wax 15%
RBO 10%
Castor oil 5%
Shea Butter 5%
Lye concentration 28%

However, for the bottom (pink and black) recipe I forgot to use what I cal my 'Ione Swirl' recipe and used my standard one. The FO was very well bevel so I still managed a swirl in that one. I used my usual recipe which is:
20% each: OO, CO, Soy Wax, RBO
10% Shea
5% each: Castor, Avocado oil
Lye concentration 30%

Because of the soy wax I tend to soap about 43-45 degrees celsius.
Thank you. Do you bring that recipe to a light trace with your SB or do you just give it some time to thicken a little or something else? I used a slow moving oil recipe on Sunday to do a swirl that matches my son's jeep and all I did was bring it to emulsion and when I added the swirl color it went right to the bottom. I still haven't unmolded it yet because it isn't hard enough. I am thinking that I should have went to a light trace before I poured in the color. I am still struggling with swirls and I have watched a ton of videos and read a lot of articles.

They’re all really nice soaps. The ocean one reminds me of the photos I’ve seen of the cold ocean waters around NZ. What a coincidence! Thanks for sharing your soy wax swirling recipe. I think I’m going to try it this afternoon in my last soap experiment for the challenge :)

Thank you. Do you bring that recipe to a light trace with your SB or do you just give it some time to thicken a little or something else? I used a slow moving oil recipe on Sunday to do a swirl that matches my son's jeep and all I did was bring it to emulsion and when I added the swirl color it went right to the bottom. I still haven't unmolded it yet because it isn't hard enough. I am thinking that I should have went to a light trace before I poured in the color. I am still struggling with swirls and I have watched a ton of videos and read a lot of articles.
I never had trouble with my batter being too thin. I think it's the soy wax. I can't soap at room temp because it starts to solidify. I always aim for emulsion but it ends of being thin trace and then medium trace rather quickly from there. It sounds like you might be working too thin for swirls? Aim for a thin to medium trace. I think that would have been medium trace that bottom one.

All great as always KiwiMoose... I've missed looking at your soaps.

I love the glycerin rivers in the last one.

Latest posts

Back