Local Pumice and Sea sand

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikolye

Reaction score
Hello- I want to make a gardeners type bar with Sand and Pumice from my local beach. I've been crushing the pumie with my mortar and pestle. Was wondering two things....

1.) do i need to "sterilize" the pumice? My thoughts were the lye would be a good sterilizer. I have boiled it to get any major organic bits off before drying it and grinding. Do you think i need to go as far as boiling it ground and pouring the pumice mush into a t-shirt, draining and drying in a low oven? or should 1 boil and lye be enough....Thoughts?

2.) Sand. Same situation, i can easily just sieve the big bits of organic matter but would i need to also boil this and same process as i mentioned above, t-shirt/drain/bake to dry? Our local beach has the finest sand ever and this will also be a long messy process.

Would i use about 1T ppo of both you think? I saw some pumice recipes like on soap queen where she uses more so i figured this should be a good start. I normally use a bit less exfoliators in my normal bars but these are geared towards body and this bar is for dirty hands.

I don't think sterilizing is nessacary but washing is.
1 tbs ppo sound like a good place to start. I use a lot more pumice but its superfine.

Personally, I wouldn't use the pumice you ground. Its going to have sharp edges, even the tiny pieces and you risk cuts that way.

The sand will be safe though, its going to be smooth.

I'm curious about the sand. I've used coffee grounds and pumice before. Coffee grounds were a bit harsh, too big. Our sand on the gulf coast here in NW Florida is sugar white quartz crystals and fine. The dry sand squeaks when you walk onit. You don't dare put a car on it as you can on the east coast such as at Daytona Beach. So how coarse is your sand and have you used it before? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back