Local oils supplier New England

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missjulesdid

Reaction score
Hello to all,
As you can see this is my first post here. I have made exactly three batches of soap, one batch of lip balm and some lotion all with positive results, and have the grand idea of starting a small soap and toiletries business now. the problem is that I got my ingredients from the grocery store and they don't have all of the oils and butters that I want to try, and the cost is too high to make soap to sell....I have been scouring the net trying to track down oils suppliers but the cost for shipping seems prohibitive especially since for my first order will be large since I basically don't have ANYTHING.
I found a supplier in Cohasset Emporium Naturals. It's a two hour drive for me (three hours with traffic) but that would be worth it for a large order. Are there any other local suppliers that I should check out. Also any feedback from anyone who has used emporium naturals would be great as well.

I'll be getting started as soon as I get my taxes back. My goal is to have a basic line of 4 soaps, 2 lip balm formulas (in assorted scents), 3 salves, 2 lotions, and 1 bodystick (a sheabutter based stick lotion in a large push up)- ready by spring.

I'm sure I'll be reaching out to all of you real experts as I test and develop my line... I can't believe I'm jumping into this when I've only made soap three times! I'm sure you must all think I'm insane.
Anyway, hope to get some responses with info about suppliers or any advice in general. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Jules

New England Supplier

Hey Jules,
Where in New England are you? I am in northwestern MA, and found a suppler in Ayer, MA about 20 minutes away from me. Catania-Spagna www.cataniausa.com. I think they're primarily a food co, but have a soapers section, basic stuff, just oils and large quantites. If you want I'd be interested in splitting with you.
Lucy

Hi Lucy,
I'm from north of the Quabbin. (which I consider to be "north central mass"- western mass to me is like Springfield or North Adams pretty much anything west of 91, not just anything west of 495 :wink: ) Ayer is about 40 minutes from me.

I have to wait until I get my taxes back but I'd absolutely be interested in splitting if there are oils that we're both interested in. I'm also looking at a company called Bulk Natural Oils in Boston.. they don't sell anything smaller than a pail. I've requested a price list for the following oils:
Almond Oil (sweet)- Item S1000p
Olive Oil- Item S1360p
Cocoa Butter Natural-Item B3000c
Cocoa Butter Normal-Item B3010c
Coconut oil-S1700P
Shea ButterB3050c
Palm Kernel Oil- S1390c
Castor oil- S1120p
Canola oil-S1100p

I also get my oils in 50lb pails from Catania-Spagna....they are about 35 minutes from me.

Lovena

Back