Local Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought lye from a local distributor for 2 bucks a pound. Had to do a little digging to find a chemical supply house but it was worth it. If you are near Seattle check out Cascade Columbia..but perhaps most cities have a similar kind of supplier. I had to buy at least 50 lbs but compared to prices elsewhere it was a smokin deal.

Excellent tip. Sadly, I just bought 20#. But I'll check the next time I'm low. Thanks!

Agreed! I found our local chem supply place after I’d just bought a whole bunch of lye from Essential Depot. The ED price + shipping was double the cost of the local supply place!

The only advantage to ED was their packaging - it comes in bottles of something like 900g each. The local place would have been one big bucket that I’d have to separate out, or else very carefully repackage each time I made a master batch.

Now I’m thinking that the occasional opening for a MB may actually expose it to less air than a big repackaging process. I’m still thinking it through and have some time. The last shipment took me a year to use up, and I’m only a few months in.

Back