Loaf Soap is Gooey in Middle

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I originally posted the message below as a conversation, not realizing it wasn't the same as a thread.
I got a number of great responses and wanted to share an update.

Original post:
"Hello, I still consider myself new to CP soap making (about 8 months). Recently, I have been attempting swirl soap. I am having an issue with it being very soft in the middle of the loaf when I cut it, causing it to drag and look bad. I am using a recipe with a 50/50 ratio of hard to soft oils. I add Sodium Lactate at the recommended ratio. I am following a superfat of 1% for my lye and also slightly discount the liquid (using 95% of the recommended liquid). I leave it in the silicone loaf mold about 3 days. All slices after the end slices are very gooey in the middle and there are ugly drag marks on those bars. I have tried cutting off the ends, then leaving it for a day, then cut 2 more bars, one from each end; then waiting for another day and cutting again, etc. This has worked the best, but is not ideal, as by the time I get to the last cut the outer edges want to crumble. Do I need to increase my hard oils? I went to 50/50, as I understood this was better for swirling. Also, does soaping temperature matter? I often add honey in with my oils and so typically soap at low temperatures, 90-100 F, then refrigerate the loaf for 24 hours. I refrigerate because of the honey. I am a beekeeper and love to add honey to my soap. My understanding was that you want to prevent gel if you use sugary ingredients, like honey or replace the liquid with boiled cider, etc.
So the basic recipe I used for my swirl soaps was:
9 oz Olive oil
5 oz Palm oil
5 oz Coconut oil
1 oz Sweet Almond Oil

2.98 oz lye
6.33 oz liquid
.3 oz Sodium Lactate

1.5 teaspoons honey
1.2 oz Essential oil
Oxide colorant mixed with a little almond oil from above"

Since it doesn't sound like you are gelling your soap it is perfectly normal for them to remain soft for a longer period of time. Honey can also make it softer than usual. Sodium lactate makes them easier to unmold but I haven't found it makes them harder for any other purpose. I gel all my soaps even if they have milk or honey in it and have never had an issue. I can un-mold and cut most all my soaps at about 18 hours. Also, that's a really low superfat for that much CO.

So here is an update.

First a picture of my ugly soap that dragged when I cut it:
20191115_111554.jpg

So in the recipe for next attempt I upped the hard oils:
5 oz. OO
3.5 oz PO
3.5 oz CO
.75 oz Sw Almd oil
.25 oz beeswax
1.93 oz lye
4.1 oz boiled black forest stout from local brewery
1/2 teaspoon sodium lactate
1 1/2 teaspoons honey

20191115_105020.jpg
No goo! But there are little white specks. I am pretty sure that is beeswax, as I was soaping at a low temperature and the oils were a little cloudy when I combined them. So will try again and keep you updated.

Since it doesn't sound like you are gelling your soap it is perfectly normal for them to remain soft for a longer period of time. Honey can also make it softer than usual. Sodium lactate makes them easier to unmold but I haven't found it makes them harder for any other purpose. I gel all my soaps even if they have milk or honey in it and have never had an issue. I can un-mold and cut most all my soaps at about 18 hours. Also, that's a really low superfat for that much CO.
Have to admit, I am very leery of gelling with sugary ingredients. Need to get over it and do some testing.
I usually use 20-25% CO in my recipes; what range of SF would you recommend?

I usually have SF at 5% for all my soaps except for the dish soaps. 1% SF seemed to be a bit low. I've made soap with 20%CO and 5% SF and will still make you squeaky clean. If you worry about it being too moisturizing maybe try 3%?

I used to have soft-in-the-middle soap but didn't have the problem ever since I introduced sodium lactate to all of them and no more drag marks. It's odd to me that you have the problem even with sodium lactate added.

Latest posts

Back