Loaf mold help- what are their advantages/what's there to love about them?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyJo

Reaction score
I just cant get on with loaf moulds - is there something that everyone loves best about them that I am missing?

I use loaf molds, slab molds, vertical molds and indy molds, and they all have their advantages. The thing I like most about my loaf molds is the specific swirling techniques I'm able to do in them, such as these here Ione swirls (among other kinds of swirls).

IrishLass :)

I also have a slab mold, loaf mold and cavity molds. They all serve their purposes!

Cavity molds: Great for salt bars, no cutting! Nice if you want a very consistent-looking and consistent-weight bar.

Slab mold: Fun swirly techniques, custom bar width/length.

Loaf mold: Lots of technique opportunities and vertical layering and decorations/piping on top. Choose your own bar thickness.

I really like my loaf molds. Seriously, the design options are limitless. You can do layers, gradients, wall pours, dancing funnel pours, hanger swirls and everything in between. And for the tops, you can do piping, peaks, swirls, embeds, etc. You can just create very unique bars with it and I find the design options more versatile than slab/cavity.

Last edited:
I too have Loaf, Slab and individual as well as cylinders. My favorites are the Loaf and Slab due to being able to do so many different designs. I mostly use my loaf molds though for consistency in size.

I too have loaf, slab and cavity molds. I only use the cavity molds for salt bars and when I have enough batter left over to fill one. I like my soaps to gel, and I have a lot of trouble getting there with the cavity molds.

I use my loaf molds probably 98% of the time. I love the design options. And, I've said it many times before, but cutting a loaf is just so much fun.

I love my tall skinny loaf mold! I made it so I can make bars exactly 2 inches wide x 4 inches tall and I love making layers in it. 5 lbs of layers mmmmmmmm. I even do my salt bars in it. And I can block it off for 2.5 lb loaves! That's not to say I don't appreciate my slab and cavity molds, but its still my favorite.

Why don't you like loaf molds?

I love my tall skinny loaf mold! I made it so I can make bars exactly 2 inches wide x 4 inches tall and I love making layers in it. 5 lbs of layers mmmmmmmm. I even do my salt bars in it. And I can block it off for 2.5 lb loaves! That's not to say I don't appreciate my slab and cavity molds, but its still my favorite.

Totally in love with my BB silicon skinny molds too. They're exactly 12" long, so it's very easy to cut 12 1" bars. Each bar ends up around 4oz. I just need to make wooden box for them to prevent bowing.

I think my biggest stumbling block with loaf moulds is packaging the soap - have struggled to find boxes that fit the soap and cavity moulds are just more consistent,

I guess I am a bit awkward as well as there is an element of wanting to be different, I see so many loaf mould soaps on IG etc I worry that I am just following a trend rather than creating something for myself. Have no idea if that even made sense to anyone else!

I kind of like my cavity moulds, just cant seem to fall in love with my loaf one no matter how many times I try!

The reason I like a loaf mold is personal and has nothing to do with specific swirls or a particular look. I like my loaf mold because you never know what you're going to find when you slice that loaf of soap. Whatever you have planned, you can never be 100% sure of what it will look like. It's like opening a gift. Now, I don't sell, so i don't need to make the appearance of my soap consistent. If you don't love your loaf mold, I don't think you should use it. Use the molds that you enjoy.

That's fine - you follow YOUR soapy muse :)

I think my biggest stumbling block with loaf moulds is packaging the soap - have struggled to find boxes that fit the soap and cavity moulds are just more consistent,

I guess I am a bit awkward as well as there is an element of wanting to be different, I see so many loaf mould soaps on IG etc I worry that I am just following a trend rather than creating something for myself. Have no idea if that even made sense to anyone else!

I kind of like my cavity moulds, just cant seem to fall in love with my loaf one no matter how many times I try!

After many, many years, I finally got some (2 lb) silicone molds cuz I wanted to try different things. The advantage, to me at least, is I can make smaller batches and the batches aren't as heavy as my slab molds. (I'm not a Spring Chicken any more and it's best to take it easy where I can.) There's a learning curve to cutting the soaps that I haven't quite mastered yet. Those soapers on YouTube make it look so darn easy! I'm making my first layered soap tomorrow --- a rainbow soap for my wholesale customer to sell on Gay Pride day. I'm all a-twitter! :grin:

I have slab, loaf and individual.

Depends on what I am making and the mood I'm in which I use. Laundry soap goes in the loaf fer sure.
Others - it just depends. I haven't figured out how to do a spin swirl in individual or a loaf so the slab comes out for that.

Don't worry about liking what you like. It's part of what makes you who you are. Enjoy being you!

Latest posts

Back