Loaf cutter, mould and log splitter - work in progress

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, having tired of have 4x 500g moulds for soaping, and having people snaffle up my bars before I have time to make more, I thought it time to make one larger mould.

I'm making an 8kg (oils) slab mould that should give me about 100 bars per batch. That means I have a big slab of soap and needed a log splitter, so I'm making one of those, too. Then I need a multi wire cutter for cutting the loaves in to bars, just because (wire cutters are their own reason!)

It's still a work in progress. This morning was cutting the wood and making the arms for the loaf cutter. This afternoon is finishing the arms and also fixing the frame for the slab mould and general sanding of all parts. Will update as it comes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451481414.395772.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451481428.613625.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451481440.380956.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451481450.831836.jpg

The people that we rent this flat from have a really great work room in their cellar and the husband is letting me use it and helping me out, too. They are great, as without it I couldn't do this at all.

Glad I don't go back to work until January 11!

oooh ... a Fein sander. Yum! And that tablesaw with the cool angled fence. Also yum!!!!

The white chest of drawers in the background of your first photo looks like it's a piece from the last half of the 1800s or maybe even earlier. In one sense, it's a bit of a "white elephant" monstrosity, but cleaned up, it could be really attractive in the right setting.

Wow, you're ambitious (and apparently talented too). Good luck and have fun with the projects. Can't wait to see videos of cutting your hundred bar batches :)

I noticed the dresser in the first pic too. I have no idea how to date it but the detail on the edge is impressive.

Thanks all.

It's certainly ambitious. I'm by no means a good hand worker. I am fair-to-middling maybe, but that's all. The chap helping me (doing most of the work) is really the star. The work room is well kitted out indeed (and his house is full of wonderful odd pieces. Those drawers in the background are from an old French apothecary table. Not one from pottery barn!) which just makes it all so much easier.

This afternoon we glued the raised base on to the main base of the mould, glued the mould sides together and glued the handle frame of the bar cutter together. We also cut the lines in the plastic chopping board, which I need to tidy up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451499089.735682.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451499104.799549.jpg

Next session will be on Monday.

Latest posts

Back