Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizayle

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm Liza and I've been creating and selling my creations since I was 13. I just started getting into soaps and scrubs because I thought it'd be an interesting challenge for me. I've owned my own LLC (Electrik Graffiti) for a little over 3 years now and I've been doing a lot of fashion and accessories and I just want to make new things!

What was hardest for you when you got started?

Hello and welcome to the forum. For me, the hardest part was staying away from you tube and not be watching all the 100s of soap videos and then once I made the soap, staying put until the soap has cured.

and then once I made the soap, staying put until the soap has cured.

Me too! I am always so impatient to unmold and cut, then waiting for the cure time to pass is sheer torture! Of course, I'm pretty new to soap making, so I thought that was just me

For me, the hardest part was not making batch after batch after batch when I first started. Back then no one in my family other than my kids and myself would try my soap. Now? The hardest part is not making batch after batch after batch just to satisfy the demands of my entire family (aunts, cousins, etc.). It's just such an enjoyable endeavor that it becomes easy to say "Oh, one more batch today won't hurt". lol

For me, the hardest part was not making batch after batch after batch when I first started. Back then no one in my family other than my kids and myself would try my soap. Now? The hardest part is not making batch after batch after batch just to satisfy the demands of my entire family (aunts, cousins, etc.). It's just such an enjoyable endeavor that it becomes easy to say "Oh, one more batch today won't hurt". lol

You are thoroughly hooked!

At this point, the hardest part is still waiting to unmold and cut each bar. That never gets old, or less hard to wait for :)

When I started, sorting out the wheat from the chaff in terms of information. I read, read, read (both forums and books) for months before I started, it took a while to feel like I had a good sense of it in theory. And there is an awful lot of misinformation out there if you do not go to the right places, just sorting out how to tell the good from the bad took a while.

Welcome, Liza! :wave:

The hardest part for me when starting out was to peel myself away from the computer where I would spend hour after hour after hour of my free time devouring every bit of info about soap-making I could cram into my head, and then spending day after day after week after month putting feet to all I was learning by making batch after batch after batch, etc.... and trying not to spend dollar after dollar after dollar on FOs and soap gadgets. lol :p

IrishLass :)

Welcome, Liza! :wave:

The hardest part for me when starting out was to peel myself away from the computer where I would spend hour after hour after hour of my free time devouring every bit of info about soap-making I could cram into my head, and then spending day after day after week after month putting feet to all I was learning by making batch after batch after batch, etc.... and trying not to spend dollar after dollar after dollar on FOs and soap gadgets. lol :p

IrishLass :)
Yup, I hear that! It was so much cheaper in the days when I was just making plain soap for my own use...then came the EOs, then the one color...then making for family...now that I'm playing with design I want a good slab mold, a good planer, more colors, dividers (I'm running out of cardboard boxes...not really...too many deliveries for that!) it never ends...and then there are the enablers...lurking on this site...getting me to want more and more...
I love every moment..

*opens trenchcoat* psst wanna buy some FOs?

And welcome Liza, you'll find a great bunch of people here for learning!

Hardest for me was probably that I wanted to do everything all at once. It was really hard to not make a new recipe with 6 colors, fragrance and trying a new swirl technique. It's not the best way to figure out where you go wrong when you do something like that.

Not that I'd know because I totally avoided that temptation...:shifty:

Last edited:
Haha thanks everyone! I've made a couple batches now and I keep poking them every day! I'm trying to distract myself by making silicone molds for future soap!

Back