Listing Soap Ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
Just wondering- I was browsing a local store's soap products, and happened on a nice looking, layered soap that looked like cake with icing on top with pink sprinkles (sugar). The ingredients didn't state sugar. Is it necessary, or no big deal to leave out the sugar? :?:

If it was myself who had made it, you can be sure the sugar would be on the label, but here in the US it's kind of lax where listing the ingredients of 'true soap' is concerned.

From all that I've read (and may someone please correct me if things have changed or if my understanding is off), as long as it's bonafide 'true soap' made by reacting oils and lye together, and no health claims are made, the ingredients are not required to be listed.

But because one just never knows who is allergic to what, I think it's very wise to list out each ingredients on one's labels.

As an aside, the sprinkles could very well be soap instead of sugar. I have grated up some of my salt soaps on ocassion, and the resulting gratings looked very much like sugar crystals.

IrishLass :)

Thank you for your response. I would bet my bottom dollar that this was sugar. It was shiny like sugar, and looked just like sugar. I just didn't taste it! I also was under the impression that all ingredients are supposed to be listed. I thought there were strict guidelines for this, but what do I know. There was another claim on this soap that I didn't believe, either. It was stated that they searched the world over, even small islands, for the purest ingredients to use. That's a hard one to beat!

I also was under the impression that all ingredients are supposed to be listed

Only if the product meets certain criteria. See here:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-215.html

HTH! :)

There was another claim on this soap that I didn't believe, either. It was stated that they searched the world over, even small islands, for the purest ingredients to use. That's a hard one to beat!

Color me highly skeptical as well!

IrishLass :)

but if you list some ingredients you must then list ALL and in the proper format.

Latest posts

Back