Listing ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDM

Reaction score
Hello, I want to sell a beer soap on sites like etsy and my own website. When listing the ingredients can I just list the beer itself or am I required to lists all of the ingredients in the beer?

If you are labeling your soap as a cosmetic you may need to include the beer name "Guinness Stout" for example. If you are labeling as a soap, you are not required to do so. As a soap you can just put "beer". You would not need to list all the Guinness ingredients even as cosmetic grade. I am 95% sure on this, it would be nice to have another chime in.

I make beer soap for a local brewery and I like to put the name of the beer on it - I find it's a good selling feature for many, to see the actual brand name of the beer used. I also believe you just need "beer" as an ingredient, however

You have to get permission from the Brewery to use their name as it is trade-marked. So you would just list it as Beer...

As I'm making the soap for this particular brewery, they are absolutely well aware that their name is being used in the ingredients :grin:

Absolutely, I have a micro brewery I make soap for and they even supply beer but if I wasn't legally I must get their permission to use their name....

You're welcome. I actually approached one of the larger Canadian breweries to list it as their brand name and was turned down.

I wonder what the generic name for Guiness is?

If I was using Guiness but didn't have permission from the brewery, I would probably just call it 'irish stout beer' or something generic. I do applaud you for attempting to label accurately. I recently tried another local soaper's product which was labeled as using natural herbs, colorants & essential oils. Let's just say I would never label wild strawberry scented soap with neon pink color as 'all natural'!

Back