Listing ingredients

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

MatthewDM

Reaction score
Hello, I want to sell a beer soap on sites like etsy and my own website. When listing the ingredients can I just list the beer itself or am I required to lists all of the ingredients in the beer?

Earthen_Step

Reaction score
If you are labeling your soap as a cosmetic you may need to include the beer name "Guinness Stout" for example. If you are labeling as a soap, you are not required to do so. As a soap you can just put "beer". You would not need to list all the Guinness ingredients even as cosmetic grade. I am 95% sure on this, it would be nice to have another chime in.

froggybean37

Reaction score
I make beer soap for a local brewery and I like to put the name of the beer on it - I find it's a good selling feature for many, to see the actual brand name of the beer used. I also believe you just need "beer" as an ingredient, however

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You have to get permission from the Brewery to use their name as it is trade-marked. So you would just list it as Beer...

froggybean37

Reaction score
You have to get permission from the Brewery to use their name as it is trade-marked. So you would just list it as Beer...
As I'm making the soap for this particular brewery, they are absolutely well aware that their name is being used in the ingredients :grin:

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely, I have a micro brewery I make soap for and they even supply beer but if I wasn't legally I must get their permission to use their name....

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You're welcome. I actually approached one of the larger Canadian breweries to list it as their brand name and was turned down.

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder what the generic name for Guiness is?
If I was using Guiness but didn't have permission from the brewery, I would probably just call it 'irish stout beer' or something generic. I do applaud you for attempting to label accurately. I recently tried another local soaper's product which was labeled as using natural herbs, colorants & essential oils. Let's just say I would never label wild strawberry scented soap with neon pink color as 'all natural'!