Listing ingredients question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tabitha said:
paillo said:
i get mine from either peak candle or the premium line at brambleberry, both excellent suppliers. yes, because of the chemicals in the one you mention :)

Chemicals in my M&P do not bother me. It is a wash off product. I am more concerned about what goes in (foods/meds/herbs/etc) my body that what washes past it.

There is a customer base that will only buy all natural soap, but it is very minimal, so unless that is who you plan to target foryour specific marketing, I wouldn't worry.

yah, most of my customer base for m&p are those seeking 'natural' or as close to it as possible, so that's definitely my bias. tabitha makes an excellent point about wash-off products. but i remain very concerned about phthalates and parabens, even in wash-off products, hence my seeking the more 'natural' lines. that said, the definition of 'natural' is totally elusive, undefined and up to the manufacturer, seller and buyer. knowledge and research are essential to all of us, if only to inform our buyers of controversies should questions arise. and in my experience they have. just my two cents...

Hi Tabitha-
I looked at Catalina's web page, and requested their ingredient lists. Glycerin is the first ingredient listed for most of their bases. How does it stand up to humidity? I was under the understanding that the higher the glycerin content, the more "sweating" the bars have.
I don't live in a particularly humid place, but have had trouble with sweating beneath the plastic wrap I use on my bars.

My bars do not sweat. Never had one since I have been using this base. With that said it is a very soft base so the bars are softer. I always wrap, or snap the lid on my clamb molds, w/i a few hours of unmolding.

It looks like the FDA redid their entire website, so the previous links do not work. I researched the new site & theses are the new links below. Same pages & info, just different links....

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceCo ... 074201.htm
Is It a Cosmetic, a Drug, or Both?
(or Is It Soap?)

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLa ... efault.htm
Summary of Regulatory Requirements for Labeling of Cosmetics Marketed in the United States.

Cosmetic Labeling Regulations as Published in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Sections 701, 740 and Other Pertinent Sections.

Cosmetic Labeling Guide.

Latest posts

Back