liquified coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggbert

Reaction score
My coconut oil living in the garage with the rest of my ingredients has nearly all liquified (5kg tub). Do you know if this can effect the result of my soap?

Don't you just love summer!

I have the same issue, and have not noticed it to make any difference. I make sure it's well stirred before I take any out tho.

It should not hurt it and makes it easier to soap with. However, most oils and butters will last longer when kept in cool, darker places - the fridge is a great place to put them to extend their shelf life. CO has a pretty long shelf life though compared to other oils.

CPSoaper said:
It should not hurt it and makes it easier to soap with. However, most oils and butters will last longer when kept in cool, darker places - the fridge is a great place to put them to extend their shelf life. CO has a pretty long shelf life though compared to other oils.

Yea what CPSoaper said!
But I have to say, I dont have space in my fridge for my oils :roll:

I do like the 76* Co for that purpose! Like the other ladies said, just give it a good stir and good to go! I'm going to order a 50 pound cube of 91* CO from Soapers Choice next month. It won't melt and it will stay solid, unless your place gets to 92 degrees! :lol:

Paul.... :wink:

soapbuddy said:
I have the 92 degree one and it still melts. I have not had any problems with my 50 lb. buckets.

Irena

Irena, I can understand that where you live in CA! :lol: My friend "Grandpa" from other forums, lives in Florida and has no problems with his 92* from CF! He really loves it and claims it produces a harder and bubblier bar! 8) Mike, from CF, told me a while back that it would not melt unless subjected to high heat, over 92* or if the bucket is left in the sun.

I cut this from CF's site;

Coconut Oil 92 Degree Melt Point White ($.93 per pound)
50 lb Cube
$46.50
Sounds like a great product at a great price! I need to get more HO Sunflower Oil from them too. Gotta give it a try!

Paul.... :wink:

Yeah well it's not quite summer yet and its has melted already. I made a batch with it yesterday and so far so good.

What sort of treatment do you give the soap in the first 24hrs in hot weather. I think that a batch went bad because I kept it too warm......I am in queensland, australia so it will be even hotter as we get to the end of the year.

I pretty much find that I need no insulation from about now on, and that some of my recipes need to go into the fridge to stop them from overheating.

Where in QLD are you? I'm in Charters Towers.

Eggbert said:
Yeah well it's not quite summer yet and its has melted already. I made a batch with it yesterday and so far so good.

What sort of treatment do you give the soap in the first 24hrs in hot weather. I think that a batch went bad because I kept it too warm......I am in queensland, australia so it will be even hotter as we get to the end of the year.

I live in hot Palm Springs. I keep my temps as cool as possible. I also don't gel. I have put my soap mold in the fridge or the freezer to help prevent gel.
Maybe next time you can put a fan on it to keep it cool?

Irena

92 has more stearic in it than 76 and is partially hydrogenated. This is mainly used by bakers/confectioners for the higher meltpoint. Except for a bit firmer soap there is no difference in performance. Coconut is a very stable oil and melting should not be a problem.

Back