Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenmarie82

Reaction score
Does anyone make liquid hand soap? I'm thinking about trying to make a SLS free hand soap. Where would I find a good base? And recipes?

I haven't tried this yet - but I do have a recipe for liquid soap that you could try:

2 oz of grated basic soap (rebatch)
8 oz water
Scent or additives of your choice.

Heat gently on the stove, mix slowly using a whisk to break up any lumps. Once completely mixed check consistency - if it's too thin add more grated soap, too thick add water.

If you use this, please let me know how it turns out.

Cheeers

So, would it be possible to take a bar of my MP soap and grate it down and add water to make liquid soap? Would that work?

Looking at those recipes and instructions, I'm really surprised to find that it doesn't need a preservative! Is that really the case?

might work with MP soap. but with a detergent based soap like most are you will need a preservative.

if you grate down and then dilute "real" soap you will create a lovely bottle of slime. may seem nice at first but that'll change... ask me how I know.

carebear said:
if you grate down and then dilute "real" soap you will create a lovely bottle of slime. may seem nice at first but that'll change... ask me how I know.

OK, I'll bite...how do you know? :lol:

By "real" you mean CP soap?

Hello - somewhat newbie here. Made 10 or so batches of CP. I made a great batch of HP liquid soap a few weeks ago. I read Catherine Failor's "Making Natural Liquid Soap" - found it really really confusing but took lots of notes. no preservatives or SLS!

It's the same as CP but with potassium hydroxide. it's a looser chemical bond so after cooking the soap, its like a hard paste. trace is different too - its really thin for awhile and all of a sudden gets really thick. That's when I popped it in the oven for a few hours to cook it - and stirred every half hour.

the recipes in her book are the opposite of superfatting - you are making the soap lye heavy and then neutralizing it later. once the soap is paste, you can dilute whatever amount down and store the rest of the paste in the fridge. once you dilute it, you neutralize it with a borax solution. borax will also thicken the soap.

Here are some links I found helpful:
http://www.essencesupply.com/liquid/liquidsoap.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~skinesscentuals/Liquid.html

Hope this helps! :)

Superfat

You can superfat with sulfated castor oil (Turkey Red Oil), which is water soluble. That helps with the whole lye-heavy problem. Also, if you superfat a little with a regular oil and then add a hot solution of borax, you'll get a creamy suspension.

I've recently started making LS and I'm like a kid with a new toy :D
I know it takes ages to make but I kinda like that, you can do the laundry, dusting etc inbetween stirs. And the finished result is worth waiting for.

:) Hi, I just made some liquid soap and it was so easy, after reading and reading about it, guess what? I superfatted it and guess what? I got a creamy supension.... :evil: (forgot) :twisted:
I got the recipe and instructions from another forum, If you want the info pm me as I dont know if I can put it up here? Also dont know how to paste a link.. :?
It was soooooo easy and after bringing it to trace you just left it to do its thing. :shock:
Sitting in bottles right now, going to give it a week or two as I read it gets a little better after awhile.

:) Hi, I just made some liquid soap and it was so easy, after reading and reading about it, guess what? I superfatted it and guess what? I got a creamy supension.... :evil: (forgot) :twisted:
I got the recipe and instructions from another forum, If you want the info pm me as I dont know if I can put it up here? Also dont know how to paste a link.. :?
It was soooooo easy and after bringing it to trace you just left it to do its thing. :shock:
Sitting in bottles right now, going to give it a week or two as I read it gets a little better after awhile.

I have made several batches of liquid soap. I have done a ton of reading and research into a number of issues that liquid soap makers would run in to. So far I can tell you no one web site or book has all the answers. I am blending ideas from several web sites and books trying to come up with the perfect method. Some problems you may run accross are...
Why is my soap so thin?
Why is there stuff setting in the bottom of each bottle?
Why does my soap not have enough lather?
Why is there a hazy layer in my soap?
And will it stay clear at 60 deg. when it is at 70 deg.?
These are just a few of the things you can run into when making liquid soap. To find what works best for you I would suggest making very small batches till you find a method that works best for you and the type of soap you are making. Liquid soap making is fun but it is different so be ready to learn.

Bruce

Back