Liquid soap with NaOH???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
There's some buzz lately on the liquid soapers facebook group I follow about using NaOH to make LS.

It's NOT grating bar soap, putting it in water, and hoping for the best. Looks more like following a LS making method but using the appropriate amount of NaOH rather than KOH.

Wishful thinking? Heresy? Works?

Here's an online reference that folks are citing ... http://sapuhusid.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/liquid-soap-using-sodium-hydroxide.html

One gal on the LS FB group used this method with her own recipe and claims it worked.

Thats really interesting. I wonder what makes it different then letting it turn into a bar before dissolving it in water. I might have to try this, it would be a way to get around not having KOH on hand.

Last edited:
Ugh.... Irishlass, come in pleasee..... Irishlass, if you read this - what do you think? Have you tried it? Would you try it? I'd be more apt to believe you than someone somewhere else.

Yeah, me too. I am really scared to use someone else's recipe without double checking it on a calculator, but if it is lye heavy, I know how to fix it. Will let you know some time this afternoon.

Enablers...you are all evil enablers...:-D

Last edited:
I haven't tried it either so I make no claims about the idea. Have yet to check The Dish to see the opinions there.

I'd really like to hear how it is after a couple weeks of sitting, will it get thick and gooey? I've grated castile soap and dissolved it, it works pretty good and it doesn't seem to get as snotty as regular bath soap when its liquified.

I am sceptical too, I still worry it would have that snot consistency of diluted grated bar soap. Really interested to hear from someone who has tried it.

OK, well, trace reached. I used the following recipe, so someone might want to try the other one:

2.5 oz NaOH
8 oz H2O
5 oz CO
1 oz Castor Oil
11 oz Veg. Shortening(thank goodness I used the last of that!)

I wrapped it up in a towel and set it aside. I doubt I will wait 24 hours, but I will wait for gel(and check for zap) before diluting. Traced like CP bar soap. No issues.

Will update when I dilute.

Wowser, Susie ... that was FAST!!! Leaving soon to visit friends, so no soaping for me today, unfortunately.

I haven't tried it either so I make no claims about the idea. Have yet to check The Dish to see the opinions there.

I respect your voice of reason ...... i would have to try it on a small scale to see if it's really viable. i personally never made LS of any sort before so i will follow this closely .

I would NOT wait 24 hours to start dilution. I let mine sit ~5 hours before starting dilution, and I have it back to gel(it was hard and opaque), so this is not going badly right now. Just got the bottom turned over and it all into chunks. Will keep y'all updated.

ETA-Have added 28 oz water. Very loose gel paste, not really diluting yet. 4:43pm EDT.

5:45pm EDT-Was boiling out of the crock pot. Stirred down, and added 12 oz water based on skin on top and additional globs left. Definitely soap, as it lathered and acted just like my normal KOH liquid soap does under the same conditions. Globs are clear gel, which is surprising due to the use of the shortening.

6:12pm EDT-Added 4 oz hot H2O, turned pot to high for a few minutes. Have 4 ~1oz globs left.

6:30pm EDT-2 small globs soap gel left. Unplugged and wrapped towel around pot. Will check in AM to determine consistency.

7:45pm EDT-Some skin noted on top, globs still present. Added 4 oz boiling water. Re-wrapped.

Last edited:
Just a thought here....it may be easier to do this HP - as soon as the soap is fully gelled and zapless start diluting while still warm and reasonably fluid?

Hmmmm, I may give it a shot this evening. Hubby is working all evening, nothing else to do but soap :D

Yes, I would. Just be sure you give it the extra water it calls for at the start. I really do think they are on to something there. I am using my last post as my notes, as I am doing other things on the computer at the same time.

I did come across that blog few days ago. I tried, but when I let it set it broke my pyrex jug :cry:. I will try again maybe day after tomorrow.

@Susie...how is the consistency? not snot like I hope.

Back