Liquid soap with NaOH???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is a different recipe, and that makes a huge difference in the amount of dilution water required, but I used 48 oz water. And I debated on adding more last night. I am glad I didn't, though.

ETA-Yep...One crock pot full of snot. No liquid layer underneath. Just gelatin consistency with firmer borders. Stirred together as best as possible. I may see if I can SB this into some sort of gel consistency.

I just added another 10oz, which brings me up to 46 oz total so far for dilution. I know I'm going to have to add a bit more, but I don't want to add too much at one time.

I had such high hopes last night, it was a beautiful, clear soap when I went to bed with just a thin layer of undissolved soap and bubbles on top. ::sigh::

OK, ended up using my hand mixer to blend the harder bits into the rest. Ended up with what looks like soft peak meringue. Washed my hands with some, it has an...interesting consistency on the fingers. Washes well, though. Could use a bit more lather, but time might help with that.

ETA-If this consistency is stable, it might be great for someone who uses shower gel. I tried it with a pouf, and got LOTS of lather/bubbles. Time will tell, but I wonder how to package this.

Last edited:
After turning the crock back on and adding the water, within 15 minutes it was liquid again. No chunks at all. Going to let it cool again and see what happens. If it's a gelatinous mess again I'm not sure if I'll try whipping it with the mixer or add more water just to see how much it takes to really get this to hold it's liquid form.

I have a family member that uses shower gel from those large bottles with narrow necks due to arthritis(don't ask me why that works for her). I am wondering how to get this stuff in there without losing that consistency.

How about adding a few ounces of KOH to the recipe to see if it will make any change in the recipe? I would have tried if I had any KOH

Allane

Well it's back to snot again, as soon as it cools it's snot. I can not believe this is actually working for liquid soap unless it's the consistency of water in the end.

Susie, I bet if you plopped your whipped soap into a slab mold and let it dry forever, you'll eventually be able to slice it into floating bars.

I had a jar of "liquid" soap made from a bar sitting under my sink for well over a year. Took it out the other day to dispose of it and it was the consistency of snotty jello. I couldn't get any water stirred into, ended up having to flush it down the toilet.

The liquid soap I made with a bar of castile is surprisingly, still fluid. Its thick and slightly slimy but not snotty and lathers nice with a bath poof. This is the only way I can actually use castile as I hate the slimy bars.

It's now completely cooled and is the consistency of a very firm gelatin.

I just don't know where to go from here. I guess I'll just keep adding water and see what happens. I definitely call this experiment a fail and just can't see how anyone is getting a usable liquid soap this way. I'm thinking that by the time I've added enough water to make it stay liquid there's going to be very little "soap" left in it!

The liquid soap I made with a bar of castile is surprisingly, still fluid. Its thick and slightly slimy but not snotty and lathers nice with a bath poof. This is the only way I can actually use castile as I hate the slimy bars.

My castile bar soap liquefies very well. Turns out I don't like it as bar soap, and won't give it away because it is so gross (slimy), and I made 2 batches, so this solution is perfect. No snot. I love the convenience of it because I can keep it in bars until I need more liquid soap, then fragrance it differently each time if I want to.

So what I'm hearing is that "NaOH soap made like a LS" kind of liquid soap, even when made by people who are competent liquid soapers, isn't any better than the usual "grate a bar of soap and add water" kind of liquid soap.

Ugh. I regret bringing this up -- I'm sorry, folks.

The one possible bright spot in this story may be the 100% olive oil NaOH soap when made into a liquid soap? Obsidian and Dawn -- Assuming a well cured bar, about how much dilution do you use to properly liquify the olive-oil soap to a nice thickness, if you don't mind sharing your experience? I have some OO bar soap around somewhere -- I will try it too.

So what I'm hearing is that "NaOH soap made like a LS" kind of liquid soap, even when made by people who are competent liquid soapers, isn't any better than the usual "grate a bar of soap and add water" kind of liquid soap.

The one possible bright spot in this story may be the 100% olive oil NaOH soap when made into a liquid soap? Obsidian and Dawn -- Assuming a well cured bar, about how much dilution do you use to properly liquify the olive-oil soap to a nice thickness, if you don't mind sharing your experience? I have some OO bar soap around somewhere -- I will try it too.

Question : so you guys are saying that no amount of "diluting " will 1. make it fluid enough and 2. take care of that "snot" texture?

DeeAnna : you are one of our most if not the most go to person on here , and as well as one of few persons that gives technical reasoning behind her answers . you do not in the slightest have anything to be sorry about , you question/topic bought us together collectively to hash out a theory / or an idea . now even if we have not seen the light of it being plausible it does not in any way shape or form requires an apology for putting it forward , the craft benefits from people like you that look for ways to take it to the next level ........ i will say no more :)

caribbean proverb : "each one teach one and together we learn"

I have a theory that the snot texture comes from the saturated fats. Coconut and Palm. I've tried palm/coconut/olive bars and coconut/olive bars with the same (snotty) results.

I don't measure really. I believe a 4 oz bar usually makes 16 oz of liquid soap. I don't like it really thick, but it's thick enough to use with pump bottles.

Last edited:
Back