Liquid Soap Re-gelling after dilution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskandream

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I am having issues with my liquid soaps gelling(like jello) after they have been diluted (typically like 2 weeks to a month later). I have been following Jackie Thompsons Gel Soap method and trying to produce soaps that are a thick and gel but still able to pour out (albeit slowly). My soap concentration is typically between 20-25% for the finished product. Any ideas?

Thank all of you in advance

I should probably give a bit more info; the oils are 75% Canola, 25% olive. I am guessing that it may have something to do with such a high concentration of soft oils?

High oleic canola or high linoleic canola?

HO might say on the label "high temp" or "good for frying/sauteeing". It's going to be somewhere over 50% monounsaturated fat on the nutrition label.

Did you look at the nutrition label? Is it somewhere over 50% monounsaturated fat on the nutrition label? There are mid oleic, high oleic, and high linoleic versions of some types of oils. Canola, sunflower, I think safflower. Not sure about others.

If your oleic acid content in the soap is over about 60%, I'm not surprised that the soap is re-gelling after time passes. It might stop once the soap content is diluted to the 10-15% range, but that's sometimes so dilute it's not a very nice soap anymore. I normally keep the oleic acid content around 50% for best overall results.

The added potassium carbonate could be complicating things as well. I've never used it, so don't have much to offer.

Is this your own recipe? If so, you should expect some less than stellar results as you learn what works and what doesn't, especially if you're wanting to play with potassium carbonate as a thickener.

Hi, Thanks for the information on this issue, this happens with my soap too, after being diluted, a month or two later lts hard to take out from the bottle, its kind of jelly appearance, what i thought it might be due to addition of sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate or potassium carbonate but i am not sure, still looking for some experimental studies

here is the video reference

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2024-02-26 at 6.50.32 PM.mp4
    11.1 MB
Back