liquid soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftgirl08

Reaction score
i am going to venture into a batch of liquid soap but was wondering how much fumes there would be while cooking it?

None: try a lid :D

P.S. You don't need to actually boil it - you can stay well under the boiling point. Actually, it's possible to CP it, but since I only tried this once, I am not giving any advice on the topic.

A double boiler works wonderful. What do you plan to use ?

I used a crock pot for my (one) batch. Far from expert, but once the lye water cooled I didn't notice any fumes at all.

Pretty much as soon as the oil/lye water were mixed it just smelled like baby soap to me. No real scent, ever so slight. No fumes came off of it once it was mixed and cooked. I wouldn't put your fingers in it but I don't see any problem with harmful fumes.

I like to use a crocpot as well and during the cooking phase the smell is not to bad. The sodium hydroxide when mixed with water can be quite strong but once it is mixed it is fine.

Bruce

Thanks for all the great recommendations! :) I will venture into the liquid soapmaking this weekend. Will probably use a crockpot. I wonder how big of a crock pot I will need once I start the diluting process?

A huge one !

I wouldn't go over 1 lb for the first batch. Or you can start the dillution in the crockpot and move your business to another pot, continuing to add hot water.

Back