liquid soap problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrahmer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I made some liquid soap a couple of weeks ago and am now seeing a problem when I do dishes. I am finding that while I get some suds and the water seams soapy, I get this milky white water. I will include pictures and my process. If anyone can help or explain what I may have done wrong, I would appreciate it!

Oils used:
23 oz Coconut oil 76 Deg
25 oz Olive Oil (Pomace)

Lye solution:
12 oz Potassium Hydroxide
36 oz Distilled Water

I did the normal hot process past method and did test 1 oz in 2 oz boiling distilled water and did get a very clear result. I then diluted to 25%. (used 100 oz distilled water)

I neutralized with Borax.

It was not very thick so I did add a little Glycerin. It was suggested to add 1-2 oz per pound of diluted soap. I only added 1 oz per pound.

I also did let the batch sit for 2 weeks before stating to use it.

If anyone has any ideas of what I did wrong or what I can do to correct it, please let me know!

Thanks for your help!

Claudette

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

Liquid soap does not disperse in water like a detergent. Dish detergents probably contain emulsifiers. Emulsifiers disperse the oil into small particles, and act as a means of wetting

Thank you for your response.

Would it be too late to add an emulsifier? I think I could use Borax as an emulsifier.

Sorry, I am new to liquid soap making.

Actually borax is not an emulsifier. Since I've not made dish soap before I can't really tell you how to make this work. :?

Thanks again for the replies! Can someone tell me what I can use as an Emulsifier then in liquid soap?

Thanks!

Let me say first that I do not make liquid soap or dish soap. Your milky dishwater is what soapy water looks like. I don't know if commercial dish detergents have emulsifiers, but I do think they contain surfactants.

If you add an emulsifier to your soap, you are going to mix oil (grease from your dishes) with water and I am afraid you will end up with lotion. Great for hands, not exactly what I would want all over my dishes.

Besides the milky-ness and how it looks, how do you like the way it performs? I really think what you are seeing is the difference between soap and detergent, and if the dishes are clean that is all that matters.

JM2C

Latest posts

Back